Accessing "Camera 2" via scripting

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Justin Moore, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Justin Moore

Justin Moore Standard User

Hi there,

This may be a dumb question - but I can't seem to find it in the help files, and I haven't been able to guess the name of the object (if it exists).

First, what I want to do: image from two cameras without using a seq file - but rather in script. I've seen Tom How (http://astro.neutral.org/software/multiple-camera-sync-maxim.html) figure out how to accomplish this with a separate master/slave application and auto-save sequence files with multiple copies of MaxIm DL on multiple machines, but I'm trying to see if there's another way to do it. I have two cameras in my custom instrument that I need to acquire images at the same time [similar models, same readouts, etc. (less complicated) , as opposed to imaging with two vastly different chips with significantly different readout times.]

In the examples, it's easy to see the CCDCamera object and subsequently how to interact with it, however in the Maxim DL GUI you can obviously choose between Camera 1 and Camera 2 - for two different cameras on the same system.

Am I missing something obvious about how to interact with the two different cameras? And furthermore, can I send simultaneous expose commands on the two cameras on the same system?

Thanks in advance!
    --Justin

2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Staff Member

Hi Justin,

This is a little tricky for a number of reasons... Firstly, you need to make sure that the cameras you're using have a driver which supports running two cameras simultaneously, and that MaxIm DL can connect to them both simultaneously. Secondly, MaxIm DL does not support the simultaneous acquisition of two imaging cameras... You could, in theory, treat the second camera as a guider — and if you were OK with the fact that the two exposures won't be started in sync, then this would be about as close as you could get to the desired use. You would achieve that using the Expose() and GuiderExpose() commands.

Frankly, I think Tom How's solution is really the only option you have — but keep in mind that you would need a way to synchronize the two PCs, which is harder than it sounds.

Cheers,
    -Adam

3. Justin Moore

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. I thought about tricking it into using the Guider for Camera 2, but yeah... I want them to be synchronized. I'll wander down Tom's path.

Thanks again,
    --Justin

4. Adam Robichaud

Best of luck getting it working. What kind of time resolution are you trying to achieve?

5. Justin Moore

I don't need microsecond accuracy, but I'd obviously like it to be as close as possible. We'll see how it goes, cheers!

6. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    I would just like to capture the active guider track box while the guider is active. This would be for my web control system.

7. Adam Robichaud

Justin: You'll probably be fine, then. Even the guider may be enough for your purposes. Still, two copies of MaxIm DL is probably your best bet.

Bob: we're discussing that possibility, actually. We'll let you know if something comes of it.

8. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    Ok, great!! Right now I just show the image at the final automatically chosen exposure interval, cut down to the track box size. It would be awesome, in addition to the tracking error graph, to show the live guider tracking image. I would need a PNG.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Bob, you can get the image if Watch Star is enabled. Simply open the Documents object and find the right one by name. You can then save out the image periodically.

You'll have to tell users to turn that function on though.