AFW not recognized

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Phill Esce, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Phill Esce

Phill Esce Cyanogen Customer

I have a AC4040 camera and recently added the AFW filterwheel. The camera will not recognize the wheel. In Maxium Dl the filterwheel does not come up as an option to select. I have the recent camera firmware and recent dirvers.
    any suggestions?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Camera Control Window - Setup tab.
    Make sure Camera 1 = DL Imaging, and that you went into Advanced, and it brought up a list that included the AC4040. Double click the AC4040 to put a * beside it, indicating it is selected.
    Then For the FW, select DL Imaging+FW, and then click Advanced. You should see the filter wheel at this point.

3. Phill Esce

I did do that but under advanced it says filter wheel (unknown)

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What firmware version is in the AC4040 camera?

5. Phill Esce

I downloaded and installed the most recent rev14

6. Phill Esce

Also would the filter wheel show up in windows under devices like the camera does? I dont see it there.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The filter wheel is not a Windows device; it is controlled by the camera.
    We're going to do a little investigation here.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

As it happens I have an AC4040 and an AFW on my desk. I just connected them.

Everything worked perfectly. Running firmware 14.

9. Phill Esce

The setup in down in Chile, I had them try to reconnect all the cables. But still no luck. Next I will have them change USB ports and then open the filter wheel to see if the address switch is set to zero.
    Maybe that is it

10. Phill Esce

I tried making different changes but no luck, This included reloading all drivers, changing USB ports, Changing filter wheel address switch (mow back to 0). I have tried different firmware rev. I have erased, then reinstalled maximum. I have also tried the ASCOM drivers. here are some pics what I see

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 6.21.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 6.20.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 6.20.17 PM.png

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Phil, would it be possible for one of us here to remote into your machine and have a look? That last screen shot is giving an error with the camera as well. I suspect some kind of driver version mismatch or file corruption.
    e.g. we could use TeamviewerQS quick support - nothing to install, just you run it, and we hop on and explore.
    I got your email - first step is for us to check this out, then I'll discuss your idea with my boss.

12. Phill Esce

Yea I will send the team viewer link and you can check it out. The computer is in 24/7. So you can access anytime once I send it

13. Phill Esce

I have emailed you a link. If you need me on at same time I can after work today or if better for you, tomorrow.
    Thanks again

14. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Phil,
    I had a look around and fixed a couple issues, and upgraded the firmware to 14 again, and did some investigation.
    Thanks for making it easy for me.

It looks like the I2C AUX interface between camera and filter wheel has blown, likely due to someone hot-plugging the connection between camera and filter wheel.
    Neither MaxIm via DL Imaging drivers nor ASCOM Diagnostics through our DL Imaging ASCOM driver will talk to the FW through the camera.

Things fixed:
    DL Imaging drivers - it looks like somehow these got a little bit out of sync, affecting the ASCOM driver. I updated this and did a repair, and then installed updated ASCOM driver.
    COM2: - Serial Enumeration was on - now disabled. It can cause a serial mouse to appear on the port, causing troubles. Nothing to do with our issue, but its something I always check.

I also have asked colleagues to review some info about the camera configuration data, and will let you know what I learn when I hear back, hopefully later today.

15. Phill Esce

Hello, I finally got the filter back from Chile. What are my next steps to get it back to you for repair?
    Thanks
    Phill

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

PM sent.

17. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    Colin — You are amazing. I hope the people here understand appreciate what you do.

Bill and Doug like this.
  18. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi @Phill Esce
    We released an update on Friday May 19 to the DL API Drivers.
    This is recommended for all Aluma and STC cameras.

You can read about it and download here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/dlapi-2-7-1-0-released.9722/

This addresses a number of issues, including a change to filter wheel handling.

Please install it and test it out.
    Let us know if you have any issues or if you need any assistance.

19. Tim

Tim Staff Member

So we have run a full set of tests on your RMA filter wheel and found no issues after running 500+ rotations.

Do you recall if you Selected the camera in DL Config before you selected the filter wheel? If you did not, this would explain why you are seeing "Unknown FW", as you need to select the Camera Model first.

Did you use the serial cable that you sent us with the filter wheel? I noticed it is missing the thumbscrews. So if the cable was not plugged in correctly, or had a bad connection, that would explain no connection.

All that said, I think it is safe to say your filter wheel is functioning as it should.