Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud AllSky-340 software tip and .NET error

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Alex Gibbs, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Alex Gibbs

Alex Gibbs Standard User

Catalina Sky Survey, University of Arizona
    Here is a tip for using the AllSky-340 software: Install the software outside the "Program Files (x86)" directory. If you use the default location in "Program Files (x86)" the software may work at first but I eventually get a pop-up .NET permission error when the software tries to talk to the camera. This has happened on at least 3 computers and it sometimes took months before it did. It seems to happen after a reboot, perhaps an unexpected one. Once it happens the problem won't go away (I tried many things, including reinstalling in the default location, disabling security software, etc). The solution seems to be to uninstall the software and install it in it's own directory, such as "C:\SBIG AllSky-340". There is probably some other permissions solution but this is easy to do.

We've had two AllSky-340s for a few years now, visible here:

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~css/lemmon/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. Alex Gibbs

Alex Gibbs Standard User

Apparently the above is not the solution either. I've had to reinstall the all-sky software twice in the last 2 months at one of our sites in order to stop the .NET error. I'm tired of having to do this every several months between our two sites and won't be buying SBIG all-sky cameras for our telescopes again unless this is fixed. It does seem to happen after an unexpected reboot, as mentioned above.

Alex Gibbs
    Catalina Sky Survey

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Alex, I'm just another customer, maybe I can help.
    Have you reported the details of the error message, (maybe including a screen shot?), the specific windows version (e.g. Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1703 Creator Edition), and do you have any antivirus/security software/IT department management of the system security? Latest service packs / updates, etc.?
    Have you run the program one ONE TIME only as Administrator, so it can register anything it needs?

4. Alex Gibbs

Alex Gibbs Standard User

Hi Colin and others. The error is attached below. It usually occurs after unexpected shutdowns.

I'm running SBIG AllSky-340 Version 1.0.37.0 on Win 7 Pro 64bit with SP1. I'm also running Bitdefender but disabling it doesn't help. Running the SBIG software as administrator doesn't help. I don't allow Windows to auto update since the system is just for talking to the camera and a Boltwood weather station. Once it's configured and running it's left as-is for months, except for this issue.

It appears that the problem is corruption of the file mentioned in the error:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Santa_Barbara_Instrument_\SBIG_All_Sky_Camera.exe_Url_...\1.0.37.0\user.config

Getting rid of the config file allows the software to start up again, though it needs to be reconfigured of course. Now I know to make a backup of the file and copy it back in when the problem happens, thought it would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place. Perhaps the last image number is being updated in this file and if the system crashes at the wrong time the file gets corrupted? Thanks for the help.

Alex

----------------
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Root element is missing. (C:\Users\observer\AppData\Local\Santa_Barbara_Instrument_\SBIG_All_Sky_Camera.exe_Url_wfoepe14fksfqkgya4310uvbfadrcako\1.0.37.0\user.config) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
    at System.Configuration.XmlUtil..ctor(Stream stream, String name, Boolean readToFirstElement, ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
    at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName)
    at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
    at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
    at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
    at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
    at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
    at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
    at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
    at SBIG_All_Sky_Camera.Properties.Settings.get_COMPort()
    at SBIG_All_Sky_Camera.formSettings.formSettings_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    SBIG All Sky Camera
    Assembly Version: 1.0.37.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.37.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/CSS/AllSky201707/SBIG%20All%20Sky%20Camera.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Attached Files:

5. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

I have the same problem (after having several unexpected shutdowns). I have tried to remove the config file as described above but the software immediately generates a replacement.

I am running Windows 8 Pro.

My sequence is:
    1) Startup produces the error below.
    2) I am given the choice to continue. I do and software loads.
    3) I open setup box which generates another message. I continue and get to the port settings.
    4) I change the port from one to my port number, set baud rate and run the test.
    5) Test is successful but when I click OK it responds "Entry error, check and try again".

I cannot change the port assignment and get NET errors whenever I try anything. Eventually it freezes up.
    The camera still works fine on my other Windows 7 machine.
    My error message is attached. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attached Files: