Allsky 340c auto start capture on boot ?

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Marco, May 21, 2016.

1. Marco

Marco Cyanogen Customer

Hi all, I have a 340 color all sky cam that works very well, but for several reason the weather pc that manages (among other things) the camera reboot time to time. Is it possible to have the software start capturing automatically as it starts? Using a simple vba file or an option on the Windows startup program shortcut would be great..
    I couldn't find anything on the topic anywhere..
    Any suggestion appreciated!
    Clear skies
    Marco

2. Vance Bagwell

Vance Bagwell Standard User

Hi Marco,
    Here's an example of my weather-pc's weatherapps batch file and VBS file. The batch file is starting several programs with a 30-second timeout between each; Webdrive, the SBIG All-Sky, Virtual Weather Station, and the Boltwood Cloud Sensor.

[The batch file, named weatherapps.bat]

@echo off

timeout 30
    rem Webdrive
    start "" "C:\Program Files\WebDrive\WebDrive.exe"
    timeout 30
    rem SBIG All-Sky
    start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG\SBIG AllSky-340\SBIG All Sky Camera.exe" AutoStart
    timeout 30
    rem Virtual Weather Station
    start "" "C:\vws\vws.exe"
    timeout 30
    rem Clarity
    start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Boltwood Systems\Clarity II\ClarityII.exe"
    timeout 30
    rem Clarity Charts
    start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Boltwood Systems\Clarity II\CSG2.exe"
    exit

[The VBS file, named weatherapps.vbs]

set shell=CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    shell.ShellExecute "weatherapps.bat",,"C:\Users\weather\Documents\WeatherAppsBatch", "runas", 0
    set shell=nothing

Last, I've edited the registry (regedit) for HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. In the Run folder, I added a string value to start the .vbs file by specifying the file location in the data field as "C:\Users\weather\Documents\WeatherAppsBatch\weatherapps.vbs

If this works for you, please reply to the thread :) I have a favor to ask in return. I'd like to compare your and other folks All-Sky camera settings. I'm having trouble where the SBIG all-sky camera stops capturing. When I press abort (twice) in the all-sky camera dashboard, it errors with an "unhanded exception has occurred in the application...The BackgroundWorker is currently busy and cannot run multiple tasks concurrently."

Vance Bagwell

3. Vance Bagwell

Vance Bagwell Standard User

Typo in registry data field above...field should NOT have " before the file path of the vbs file.

4. Marco

Marco Cyanogen Customer

Dear Vance, first of all thank you very much for your reply. I tested the batch file and it works already without the need to do any VBS and/or modify the registry. In fact I put a link in my startup folder to the batch that is a simplified version of your one having only the all sky camera. I am running Win XP on the wetaher server (it is a small pc, with an atom processor).
    On the other side I get the same error if I press abort twice in the all-sky camera dashboard: "unhanded exception has occurred in the application...The BackgroundWorker is currently busy and cannot run multiple tasks concurrently." If I press only once no problems at all. It seems a issue on the controlling software to me.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Clear skies
    Marco