Resolved AllSky camera no longer connects

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mark Marfoglia, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

I have a problem connecting my AllSky-340 Camera after having several unexpected shutdowns. I have tried to remove the config file as described in another thread but the software immediately generates a replacement.

I am running Windows 8 Pro.

My sequence is:
    1) Startup produces the error below.
    2) I am given the choice to continue. I do and software loads.
    3) I open setup box which generates another error message. I continue and get to the port settings.
    4) I change the port from one to my port number, set baud rate and run the test.
    5) Test is successful but when I click OK it responds "Entry error, check and try again".

I cannot change the port assignment and get NET errors whenever I try anything. Eventually it freezes up.
    The camera still works fine on my other Windows 7 machine.
    My error message is attached. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Marfoglia

Following the advice of a systems programmer (which I am not), in the Programs menu, Turn Windows features on or off, I disabled/rebooted/enabled/rebooted first .NET 4.5 and then .NET 3.5SP1. The hope was that this would repair the .NET software, but it did not change my problem. As soon as I launch the AllSky software I get .NET errors “root element is missing”.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the AllSky software - no effect. I installed the AllSky on another W8.1Pro PC and it runs fine.

As I mentioned this device ran for 2 years on this machine without incident. I had a string of crashes, due to a old Manhattan USB extender I think. That or a USB hub I was using. It got so bad a simple USB storage key was not recognized. I removed the extender and hub, cleared all the drivers and reinstalled them, and everything is stable now. Everything except the AllSky software which is frustratingly stubborn.

Here is a list of devices connected to the PC via USB:
    1)Maxdome II controller
    2)Boltwood cloud sensor II
    3)Alnitak flat fielder controller
    *4)SBIG camera
    5)Paramount MKS5000
    *6)Genesis focuser/rotator
    *7)Planewave PWI3
    *These are connected thru an ICRON Ranger
    8)GoMic
    9)Mouse
    10)Keyboard

Any advice would be appreciated.

3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Can you send me your config file, and also the COM port your camera is using?

4. Mark Marfoglia

Adam,

Here is my config file. Opps - I cannot upload a config file. Can I email directly?

I was using a Trendnet TU-S9 on a Port which I have since deleted. Now I am trying to use a Star-Tech USB to serial hub to bring down the number of USB devices I have to connect to. It is on Port#4 now…or will be. Right now it is not connected.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

5. Adam Robichaud

If you zip the file, it should be allowed.

6. Mark Marfoglia

Here is the zipped file.

Thx

Attached Files:

7. Adam Robichaud

Try using this config file. My debug version was hiccuping on the section config data.

Attached Files:

8. Mark Marfoglia

Adam,

I tried copying your user.config to the SBIG AllSky-340 directory, same error. I tried renaming it SBIG All Sky Camera.config (with and without the .exe), same error.

The camera is connected now on com#4.

Thx,
    Mark

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. Adam Robichaud

According to the log, the user.config file was being loaded from C:\Users\markm_000\AppData\Local\Santa_Barbara_Instrument_\SBIG_All_Sky_Camera.exe_Url_k1jwqnnrsa2scz4dchtsi5psj42foki0\1.0.37.0\user.config — you would need to replace that one. If replacing that one doesn't help, send me a private message with the connection details and I'll sort it out.

10. Mark Marfoglia

Adam,

Opps, I was doing this incorrectly. I did not realized where the software was loading the .config file from (i.e.: not the x86 directory). I did mention that I am not a programmer...

I changed the proper one and it now works, awesome! Imaging remotely with only a weather station in difficult, especially this time of year when the sky temperature is very variable.

Thanks for your help,
    Mark

Adam Robichaud likes this.