Aluma 3200 producing pathological images

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Donald Pray, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Donald Pray

Donald Pray Cyanogen Customer

The camera is working in other respects except for the image output. It is generally black but with random, white horizontal lines running across the image. It is not responding to light. The fans come on when powered up, and the shutter opens and closes when an exposure is taken. The cooler is working normally. I have a couple images if you need them. Thanks.
    Don

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes please upload some FITS images showing the problem. Preferably a light frame and a dark frame.

3. Donald Pray

Donald Pray Cyanogen Customer

I tried to reproduce the problem and now the camera seems to be working fine. My theory on this is that the night before the "malfunction" was the wettest night I've seen as far as fog is concerned. Everything was dripping in the observatory. I brought the camera indoors and let it sit for 2 days, and it still didn't work. Now, 2 weeks later, it's working. Is it possible that residual moisture caused this? Meanwhile, fingers crossed that it continues to work.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the innards were soaking wet, it's possible that was causing a high impedance short circuit.

In general, if you are going to leave your camera in an observatory that is subject to high humidity and/or cold conditions, we strongly recommend leaving it powered up at all times. Just deactivate the cooler when you are not using it. The small amount of heat generated by the electronics will help keep the insides dry.