Aluma 8300 sensor crack

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Shannon Murphy, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Shannon Murphy

Shannon Murphy Standard User

We have an Aluma 8300M, SN AL8300M18062901
    It hasn't seen a lot of use during the pandemic, but our Astro 361 class uses it every fall. This year, they discovered a strange feature on the flat. I've attached the instructor's comparison images.
    Yesterday I was able to take off the cover and get a good look inside. There is a crack in the glass on the sensor (inside the chamber). I've attached an image of it as well.
    I'd like to know what our options are for repair, and what the expected cost is.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hello Shannon, this is unusual.
    Was the camera dropped or subject to any extremes?
    I'll ask my colleague @Tim to review.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I definitely agree with Colin - that a pretty rare event. I don't recall that ever happening before.

We did hold onto a couple of KAF-8300 sensors in case a replacement was needed, so it can be fixed.

@Bill at SBIG Service & Repair can do the replacement for you.

4. Shannon Murphy

Shannon Murphy Standard User

The camera was mounted to the 0.4-m DFM in the dome, so it shouldn't have experienced a drop or any other impact. I can't imagine any extremes that wouldn't also affect the other equipment in there.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, we're going to discuss this further internally, and then we'll get back to you, likely tomorrow.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Shannon, it's best to make arrangements with @Bill - you can email him via bill (at) sbig (dot) com
    We've sorted out what he will need. Make sure to send in the power supply and DC extension cord beween the supply and camera.