Resolved Aluma AC4040 not connecting anymore to PC

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Fabrizio Bernardi, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Fabrizio Bernardi

Fabrizio Bernardi Standard User

We have an issue with our CMOS camera that arrived new about a couple of months ago. The camera was working regularly for about a month. It was recognized by the PC with Win 10 pro, but recently it was difficult to start working and it took some time before the camera could have been seen by the PC and we managed to make it working after several attempts to switch on and off for a couple of minutes. Now it is definitively not working at all. We tried to change the USB cable using a USB2 one without success. We also tried to unmount it and connect it directly to the PC with a shorter cable, but again without success. Eventually, we also updated the ASCOM platform and reinstalled the camera drivers
    Attached you find some screenshots of the errors and set up we get (some are in Italian, but you should understand the point).
    So, what do you suggest to do?
    Thanks,
    Fabrizio Bernardi for the Gruppo Astrofili Montelupo

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Windows is not seeing the camera at all. The device driver is correctly installed.
    There is no communication between the camera and PC.

Check the following:
    1. Camera power supply. Check the AC power cord is fully plugged into the power supply and wall outlet. Is power supply LED on? Is the power supply producing +12V ? Check the extension cord between power supply and camera.
    2. Does the camera fan come on?
    3. Try a different USB cable and a different USB port. (I know you said you changed the cable. Did you plug into a USB 3.0 port on the back of the PC?)
    4. Try another computer.

3. Fabrizio Bernardi

Dear Colin,
    last Friday we tried all the options you wrote. We also changed the USB cable. We also checked the tension which is stable at 12V. The camera switch on regularly and the fan as well, but still it does not connect to the PC. We also chenged the PC, but still same problem. Any other suggestions?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

On the other computer, did you see /!\ Unknown Device ?
    unknown_device.png
    (I can't show it in Italian)
    If Unknown Device, you need to install the device drivers from the memory stick that came with the camera.

Or SBIG Camera in grey ?

You could also try:
    Connect the camera with a USB 2.0 cable to a USB 2.0 port on the new computer.

Does the computer make the usual USB sound when you plug the camera into the computer?

What kind of computer are you using ? Make/model?

Please double check everything.
    It is starting to sound like the camera will need to come in for repair. I'd like to be really sure the problem is with the camera, not your computers or hubs or cables.
    There have been zero failures of the AC4040 USB interface in the field - yours would be the first.

5. Fabrizio Bernardi

I was told by my colleagues that they tried on three different PCs with no result. For a while it appeared as a "hidden device". They tried to reinstall it, but with no luck.... I will try to gather info about the used PCs, but at least the operational one is a rather new one. Any further ideas?

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If it appears as a Hidden Device, that means the computer saw it and the drivers loaded successfully. Then something happened.
    What OS are you running? e.g. Windows 11 Professional 64-bit 21H2

7. Fabrizio Bernardi

The main PC is a Win 10 at 64 bit, the other two, one is again a win10 64 bit (don't know here the bits), and the other is an old win7

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We could try a remote session, if the computer is internet accessible. Let me know if that would work.
    I could log into your computer remotely, and review the settings and try to get it going.
    Let me know if that would work.

The time here is 08:26EDT (UTC-4) right now. Let me know when you could be available, with the camera plugged in and powered up and connected to the PC.

At the scheduled time, download and run TeamViewer Quick Support.
    https://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe
    This is a one-time support utility that does not install anything. It will display a ID/password, and you can Send a Private Message to me with the information.
    Then I can log into your computer and have a look at this situation, and see if I can fix it.

9. Fabrizio Bernardi

I was told that the second one is a win10 at 32 bit, not 64. So, in the end, we tried in a Win10@64, Win10@32, and a Win7

10. Fabrizio Bernardi

This is a good idea! We rather attempt all the possible before shipping it back to US.
    So, we can organize it. Let me se who is available. Unfortunately I live one hour drive to the Observatory, but somebody can be there if not today, one of these evening when it's still day in US.
    The PCs are online and, if I remember well, TeamViewer was already used.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We're in Ottawa, Canada. The old SBIG was in the USA back prior to 2014.
    We could also schedule a time outside of normal work hours. e.g. on Thursday my calendar is wide open.

12. Fabrizio Bernardi

Ok, that's good, it's only 6 hours away. So, if we need just to check if the cmos camera is working, we can try around 9sh when it's about 3 PM your local time. We will answer soon, I hope.....

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If TeamViewer is already on the PC, we can use that.

14. Fabrizio Bernardi

Hi Colin, me again. So, I confirm our availability for Thursday starting from 8 PM (CEST), that is 2 PM in Ottawa. I was told that Anydesk is already installed, but I think it is not a problem to install TeamViewer. Just tell us if it is confirmed and if you also need a telecon connection either via skype/team/zoom or whatever...

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, I can use Anydesk. Zoom is a good idea as backup.

16. Fabrizio Bernardi

Good morning. So, how can we set the meeting for tonight? Unfortunately I will not be available, but there will be other people of the group. To be sure, we can schedule it at 9PM CEST (3PM your time). Let me know, please.

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

18. Fabrizio Bernardi

Got it!

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member