Aluma camera questions

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by mike shade, Dec 30, 2020.

1. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

My old and reliable STL 6303E is showing it's age and am considering a new camera system. What I am thinking of is Aluma AC4040>FW7-STX filter wheel>SC-3 SHORT guider. As I understand it the filter wheel bolts to the camera, and the guider bolts to the filter wheel. The system will be attached to an Optec Gemini, 4300 dovetail. Precise Part can make an adapter, one end into the Optec Gemini...the other end? In making the adapter there are three options for the guider end; bolted, dovetail, and thread. Only two seem valid, dovetail and thread. I have a few questions:

*What is at the end of the guider, the threaded interface? Do I need a plate or adapter of some sort (which one?), or is the part included? Would prefer to screw the adapter to the guider.

*I am using MaximDL CCD Professional V6.26 (Windows 7). Will this suffice to setup and run this system? Or do I need Maxim LT? Would prefer to continue to run MaximDL CCD 6.26.

Thanks

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The camera comes with our standard adapter plate. It is bolted onto the camera. It is threaded on the inside and has a dovetail on the outside. When you install the filter wheel and SC-3 you move the adapter plate from the camera to the front of the guider.

I believe "bolted" refers to bolting it directly to the front of the guider, rather than using the supplied adapter. That is probably the most robust mounting method.

MaxIm DL Pro 6.26 is the perfect software for running this camera!

3. mike shade

Thank you Doug...so to be clear, the "telescope side" of the SC 3 short is threaded already? They do have a "dovetail" option as well but threaded seems best.

As for Maxim, I WOULD NOT need to install/use Maxim LT to either configure or run, do I have this right?

Thank you again

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, the "telescope side" of the SC3 is the same hole pattern as the front of the camera and filter wheel. Actually the SC-3 uses longer bolts that go through it and into the filter wheel.

MaxIm LT is just a "light" version of MaxIm DL Pro. Your current software can do everything MaxIm LT and much more.

5. mike shade

What then would an adapter (Precise Part) screw into then on the SC3? That's where I am having some confusion, what to get for an adapter to attach to the SC3.

And, is the camera in question actually in production? Seems that nobody in the states has one (that I could find at least).

Thank you and happy new year

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes we are actively shipping Aluma AC4040. We shipped out two of them on Wednesday in fact.

If you use the threaded interface, it screws into our standard adapter plate. All three interface methods work... it’s a matter of preference and cost. From what I’ve seen the threaded adapters from Precise Parts are less expensive.

7. mike shade

Thank you...the last of the questions.

*Does a camera/filter wheel/guider/filters need to be ordered direct from you guys OR from a dealer in the states (nobody seemed to have one in stock)? IF it is ordered from you guys, I assume that there would be tariff/taxes/fees/whatever (increased cost) as you are in Canada and I am in the states.

*The standard adapter plate, referenced above, it is included with the camera or filter wheel or guider or is that separate? If separate ,what piece?

Thanks again...

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can order direct or from a dealer. There is a trade agreement between USA and Canada, which means there would be no duty. Any sales taxes would depend on your local jurisdiction.

The standard adapter plate is included with the camera.