1. Galaxyhunter

    Galaxyhunter Standard User

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2019
    Messages:
    87
    Location:
    Durand, Illinois
    I have an AO-8 on my that I switch back & forth between my ST2000 / ST10. When I click Calibrate AO, it crates a nice size box on the display screen. The results are that it guide incredible. I was hoping for that with my new one.

    I have a AO-8A on a SC2 / STC-7. When I calibrate that, it really doesn't hardly move ( see video ).
    What do I look for, or is this the way the new AO units work?

    hawkeye-observatory.com/CN/SBIG/AO-8A.avi

    This is a 27mb file.

    Thank You Gentlemen.
     
  2. Galaxyhunter

    Galaxyhunter Standard User

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2019
    Messages:
    87
    Location:
    Durand, Illinois
    This afternoon, I remove the camera from the scope. Started Maxim, Went to the AO control window & clicked Setup. From there I unclicked the Y axis & then clicked Exercise. I looked into the focuser tube & I could see That the lens was moving. I then switched the checkmarks for the X & Y, then redid the test. I could see that this axis was also moving. I don't know where else to look.
     
  3. Colin Haig

    Colin Haig Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2014
    Messages:
    5,207
    Location:
    Earth
    The AO-8 and AO-8A are mechanically very similar, but the optical setup between the old camera's internal guide sensor and the new guiders are different.
    That will have a bit of impact, however I'll ask my colleague @Brian Brown to have a look - I personally expected much more movement (several pixels eg more than 5, less than 20) in each direction.
    Am wondering if there is something incorrect on your AO Setup tab. Perhaps you could provide a screen shot (PrtSc and paste into MS Paint)
     
  4. Galaxyhunter

    Galaxyhunter Standard User

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2019
    Messages:
    87
    Location:
    Durand, Illinois
    I will get a screen shot. I didn't change any parameters, just using the default settings. This (AO-8A) is so different from my older unit as far as calibrating. I didn't know if it's a software calibrating routine that has changed or if this is just a settings issue. I mainly used my ST200 on the Maxim 4.60 platform, and when it did it's calibration, I did a Four Corners type. This Maxim version (6.26?) appears to do a single axis at a time.

    Edited to upload screen shots.
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. Colin Haig

    Colin Haig Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2014
    Messages:
    5,207
    Location:
    Earth
    Colleagues need to look into this a bit further. Not forgotten, just delay.
     
  6. Galaxyhunter

    Galaxyhunter Standard User

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2019
    Messages:
    87
    Location:
    Durand, Illinois
    Not a problem, It's been cloudy. I have my ST2000 / AO-8 on the scope right now waiting for a sucker hole so I can video that calibrating routine to compare. With the ST2000, or ST10 / AO-8, when I was Asteroid hunting,
    I could stay on a guide star for hours & never have any pixel shift.
     
  7. Galaxyhunter

    Galaxyhunter Standard User

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2019
    Messages:
    87
    Location:
    Durand, Illinois
    I have a link for two calibrations. Both are ST2000 + AO-8, Windows 10 Pro x64. The first one was run on Maxim 4.60. The second was on Maxim 6.28. This is the same computer that I used for original calibration.
    Two different Maxim versions gave me basically the same ( positive ) results that I have been getting for years. The only difference I see is a different guider ( SC-2 ) & the drivers to run the AO-8A that is attached to it.

    hawkeye-observatory.com/CN/SBIG/Maxim4-60.avi
    hawkeye-observatory.com/CN/SBIG/Maxim6-26.avi

    Thanks Gentlemen, Carl.
     
  8. Brian Brown

    Brian Brown Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2019
    Messages:
    83
    Hello,

    Looking at the screen shot it appears that the Deflection % for the AO is set to 50%. This means that while calibrating the AO will only move 50% of it's total possible motion on each axis. Try Setting the value to 100%. and let me know if this resolves the issue.

    Thanks,

    Brian.
     

Share This Page