AO-8T or AO-X with an STL-11000

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by DonTaylor, Feb 1, 2017.

1. DonTaylor

DonTaylor Standard User

Maybe I did it wrong but a search didn't present anything on my question.
    Tim Puckett pointed me to Bill Lynch who pointed me to Doug George on this forum.
    Tim said that both the AO-8T and the AO-X will work "electrically" with the STL but that there is no physical interface to mate them. However, the website manual for the AO-8T says that the outer holes on the cover plate, the ones that are covered by black tape, are for mounting it to an STL camera (middle of page 10).
    When I follow that logic through, it tells me that an AO-8T will mount and work with my STL.
    But, will it cause vignetting? Tim said that the aperture of the parallel plate is 50.8mm, same as the filters. Since its much farther away from the CCD chip than the filters, I'm thinking it might cause vignetting.
    I should mention that I'm using the CFW-7-STL in the optic train.
    I guess my questions are:
    Will the AO-8T bolt on and work with my STL-11000 right out of the box?
    If so, will it have any or significant vignetting?
    Will the AO-X work with my STL out of the box?
    If not, is there a source for parts (adapter plate???) to get it to work with an STL?

Thanks,
    Don

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay I wasn't aware that they included mounting holes for the STL on the plate. Yes it will bolt on.

As for whether the window is large enough, that depends on what sensor is in your STL. I would guess that an 11002 might be too big. Other sensors could be okay.

3. DonTaylor

DonTaylor Standard User

Thank you for your reply.
    Do you know if the AO-X will work on the STL-11000?

Thanks again,
    Don

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes it would be electrically compatible. You might need to make an adapter bracket for it.