AO-X gives guide star fade in Maxim DL

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by StephenLaurie, Sep 28, 2015.

1. StephenLaurie

StephenLaurie Cyanogen Customer

I have a new STX 16803 with AO-X guided with an external guide head. The AO works fine with CCDOPS but I have a problem with Maxim. After calibrating the unit and locating a guide star, when I try to guide I always get a Guide star fade message. If I physically move the AO window on the screen, then the guide star shows and the guiding begins. However the AO unit rapidly moves to either 0% or 100% because the guide star position and image are not updating unless I move or click on the AO window. I have tried this with different settings and different computers but I get the same issue.
    One thing I have noticed is that the firmware is not the latest - stga.bf2 is version 2.41 compared to release 2.43. Would this cause the problem? I am reluctant to update the firmware unless it is really necessary.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, we recommend that you update the firmware to the latest version, as there have been fixes related to AO operation.

When updating, whatever you do, don't close or abort the firmware downloader. It may appear to go unresponsive during the download process... just let it sit and finish its job. Otherwise you will brick the camera.

3. StephenLaurie

StephenLaurie Cyanogen Customer

Thank you. The scary firmware update went OK without any problems. I have just tested it out and the AO works fine with Maxim DL now.