AO-X/STX Guider use on-axis?

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Gerard van Belle, Mar 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gerard van Belle

Gerard van Belle Standard User

Hi, I'm interested in the AO-X product & associated STX Guider.

My setup is currently three PW1000's, for use at the NPOI optical interferometer at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ. I will be equipping these units with full-up adaptive optics in the future, but I'm in need of a quick interim solution for tip-tilt, and the AO-X/STX Guider look like a possibility. In our PW1000 user's forum I saw that another PW1000 user was using the AO-X/STX Guider with good results.

Here's the rub: my main targets are bright-ish stars (Vmag ~ 5-8) and I'd actually like to steal some of the light with a beam splitter (say, a 70/30 or something like that) to drive the STX CCD - I'm assuming that'll be where I get the most light into the STX for fastest tip-tilt tracking, rather than some random (presumably fain) off-axis nearby star. Would it be possible for me to retrofit the STX so it could be fed by such a beam splitter? (We have machine shop facilities here at Lowell for making custom parts as needed.)

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks for reaching out. My colleague @Doug will likely weigh in on this as well.

The AO-X can be driven by control signals from the STX camera, using a guide star hitting the STX Guider, off-axis, or with an SBIG StarChaser SC-3 off axis guiding camera.
    We have worked with the people at Innovations Foresight who have developed a dichroic beam splitter for something similar.

Doug may be able to assist.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'd suggest the Innovations Foresight ONAG with an AO-X in front, and use an STF-8300M as the guide camera. The STF-8300 will be able to control the AO-X via its I2C port.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

5. Gerard van Belle

This looks very attractive. What kind of software is used to close the loop between the AO-X unit and the guider (say, assume a STF-8300M as recommended)? Also, do you have any sense of what sort of correction update rate with the AO-X would be possible using a brighter star (in the 30% of a Vmag ~5-8 range I noted above) for guiding?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There are several software products that will do the job. The cameras come with MaxIm LT, which has everything you need. Also you could use the free CCDOPS software.

With a bright enough star you should be able to do well over 10 Hz.

7. Gerard van Belle

Is it possible to use a simpler guider than the STF-8300M - say, anything supported by MaxIm DL? That's a really nice camera, but for a basic test setup that will be in service for less than 12 to 18 months, it might be a bit overspec'd.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No. Only SBIG cameras with I2C ports can control the AO unit. That is the most cost-effective option at this time.

9. Gerard van Belle

Ah, I understand. Thanks! Well it's not the worst thing in the world to be compelled to buy a nice CCD camera :)