AOX Calibration in TheSkyX

Discussion in 'Adaptive Optics (AO)' started by RodG, Apr 24, 2020.

1. RodG

RodG Standard User

Has anyone seen a problem in TSX where you get the error, “Motion too small during X+ move. Increase calibration time. Error=554” when you ry to calibrate the AOX? Any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

Rod

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

@Colin Haig might have some suggestions.

Perhaps check if it works in CCDOPS. If it does then it's a software issue of some kind.

Failing that, you'd best ask on the Software Bisque support forum.

3. RodG

RodG Standard User

Thanks for the quick response. I am planning on checking it with CCDOPS tonight (weather permitting). I also have a thread open on the Bisque forums. Just trying to research all options.

Rod

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Rod - what mount do you have and how is it connected to the guider? e.g. Astrophysics AP1600 to ST-4 port; Paramount and software guiding?
    If it is an ST-4 cable, then it might need the opposite wiring, e.g. flipped vs straight-through.
    One thing i do is check that the guiding is actually working in all 4 axes. e.g. the guide +x/-x should move the RA faster / RA slower; +y/-y should move Dec axis up or down. (The direction depends on your hemisphere eg Northern vs Southern)
    If you find nothing happening in 1 axis, it may be that cable.
    If software, am not sure, you may have to give it more time... ideally, the star should move several pixels in each of the 4 directions.
    You can also check the AO in CCDOPS test this by exercising the AO and snapping an image, or just look/listen to make sure the AO is moving in all 4 directions.
    IF I think of something else, will let you know.
    Tom House on the Bisque forums is a great resource too.

5. RodG

RodG Standard User

I have a Paramount using the ST-4 port. That is not the problem. I can calibrate with the relays OK. It's just when I try and calibrate the AO that I receive the error. Actually the error really makes no sense since there is no timing parameter for the AO.

Rod

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Have you set the FOVI up and your optical parameters in TSX? It might be doing a calculation based on # of pixels etc.