Resolved AOX guide star drifts out of track box followed with Centroid not found errors

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Greg Nelson, May 18, 2021.

1. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

After updating to Maxim DL 6.27, the AOX is not tracking. The system calibrates the drive and the AO successfully, with movement measured on all axes for both the drive and the AO. I am attaching a text file with the AO debug log for reference.

When tracking starts, the AO Tilt and other info actively update in the AO Control box , but the guide star over time just moves out of the trackbox screen. I am attaching an image I took where the reported tilt was small but the guide star is in the upper 25% of the screen--and it slowly kept moving up until it was off the trackbox, yet with the AO tilt reported under 10%. Previously under 6.26, the star stayed generally centered in the trackbox no matter what the reported tilt angle. Also, looking at the subs, it appears the AO is not actually moving during tracking, and the image is drifting due to slight polar misalignment. After the star goes off the screen, eventually the "Centroid not found error" occurs, and the trackbox becomes grey.

I've tried different binning (1-4), checked all the cables, and nothing resolved this. Given the AO moves during calibration, it appears the cables are well connected. I have tried exercising the AO and even though the camera was on the telescope, a guide star image moves to random spots while the AO is exercising..so I believe it is moving during AO exercise.

I have the AOX connected to the Starchaser SC-3 Long. I checked the firmware and it is version 6. Let me know if you need other information.
    IMG_6190.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

3. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Standard User

Thank you for pointing this out. I will investigate this bug and provide a plugin version that corrects the problem once I've discovered the cause.
    - Brian

4. Greg Nelson

Thanks Brian and Colin. Slowly but surely we are going to get this system tuned up and working properly! On the bright side, when I do get good subs the AC4040 has great signal to noise.

5. Brian Brown

I believe I've found the source of the issue. Try this version out and let me know how it works for you. In case you aren't already familiar with manually installing plugins: Unzip the file, navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diffraction Limited\MaxIm DL 6\", rename the existing plugin file there to "CCDPlugDLImaging.dll.bak", and copy the new file in this folder.

- Brian

Attached Files:

6. Greg Nelson

Brian, I’ll install this today and try it out tonight.

Thanks, Greg

7. Greg Nelson

Brian, I am happy to report that the new plugin fixed the issue. Very solid AO performance for two targets tonight. It also appeared that the Screen was updating more rapidly.

Thanks so much for the quick fix.

Greg

8. Brian Brown

No problem Greg. Glad to hear things are working again.

- Brian

9. Terry Lenhardt

Terry Lenhardt Cyanogen Customer

Is this revised plug-in something all AO-7, -8, and -X users should use? Thanks.

10. Brian Brown

Yes, so long as the AO is connected to a camera-controlled Via DLImaging.

- Brian

11. Terry Lenhardt

Not sure whether that includes my ST2000XCM...I should know, I suppose, but I don't!

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The CCDPlugDLImaging controls the newer SBIG ALUMA CCDs and CMOS cameras as well as the SBIG STC-series CMOS cameras, the SBIG StarChaser SC-series guiders and related.
    CCDPlugSBIG controls the older SBIG ST/STL/STXL/STX/STT/STF series cameras.

Some of Brian's general AO improvements may help you.

13. Brian Brown

That camera and AO are controlled via the SBIG w/AO plugin, however, there have been some changes to that plugin to address some AO guiding issues in the latest release MaxIm (6.27).

14. Terry Lenhardt

Thanks, gentlemen! Looking forward to some decent weather to try it out.