1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Colin
    I have a customer's AOX attached to a 16803 camera. It is suffering from the AOX LED leak, despite my best efforts to tape over the LED on the inside.

Anything else I can do? I have proven it is the AOX LED by disconnect the AOX completely.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but what if I used a tiny drill to drill through the LED on the outside of the AOX just to 'kill' the LED?
    thanks
    Martin

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can I get the serial number? Then we'll see what manufacturing says.
    Black weatherstripping foam with a hole punched through it should work.
    I would not try to drill it - that would make a mess as the bit will slip. Side cutters to one of the wire leads at the back of the LED at the circuit board would be another way to go - not officially sanctioned...

3. Martin Pugh

Hi Colin....serial number is AOX190412.

BTW - Do you have any intention of reducing the width of the FW7-STX?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

5. Martin Pugh

Ok thanks. What about the AOX serial number?

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

On Monday I can check with the guys.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Consensus seems to be that since other attempts have failed, the best approach is to use a soldering iron and solder sucker to desolder the LED from the printed circuit board. If you don't have the skills or tools, perhaps someone nearby is a ham radio operator - often they are good with electronics and could tackle the problem quickly.

8. Martin Pugh

So what of the serial number?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

S/N tells us which hardware is in the AO-X. That unit is a little over 2 years old. There can be component, circuit board or mechanical differences in AO-X units built over the years.
    If you can see the RED frame interior (eg cover is removed from the AO-X) the inside of that frame likely is not anodized (neither red nor black) due to an error at the "paint" shop. We didnt find this out until Rex Groves reported an issue about a year ago.
    A piece of black hockey tape (non reflective) placed onto the frame with a hole punched through will cut down the reflection.
    Then a piece of black foam with a hole in it for the LED placed over the LED as a sleeve, or heat-shrink tubing placed over the LED will act as a shield.
    The back side of the LED likely has black holder that should be blocking interior light.
    Or desolder the LED.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If the customer wishes, we could provide a replacement for the red frame that has a different interior finish. Cost is US$170+shipping. Let me know if the customer wishes to proceed.