ASCOM Drivers in DLAP Installer?

Discussion in 'DL Imaging Drivers - Aluma, STC, StarChaser' started by Evert Cooper, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Evert Cooper

Evert Cooper Cyanogen Customer

Dear SBIG, I have a recently purchased STXL 6303 + SC-3 + AO-X for which I would like ASCOM drivers. I read from the MaxIm manual pg 193 that they are available by selecting ASCOM on the Setup tab of the DLAPInstaller (I presume), and then on pg 194 there is a nice picture of its "setup ASCOM" window. My problem is that when I run the DLAPInstaller I don't see that ASCOM is a selectable option as per the cropped screenshot below, but no doubt, I am missing something. I am running LT version of MaxIm. What do I do now?

upload_2021-10-30_9-12-26.png

Thanks for the help,

Evert

Attached Files:

2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Evert.

Diffraction Staff only look into the forum occasionally at weekends so they probably won't reply until Monday but if it is any help AFAIK the DL ASCOM Imaging drivers only support the current range of newer cameras.

See this extract from the first post at the top of this forum announcing the release of the DL API 2.0.3 package:

"DL API is used to control all new SBIG cameras and accessories, including the STC, Aluma CCD, Aluma AC, and StarChaser series. For the older ST, STF, STT, STX, and STXL series please use SBIG Universal".

Your STXL 6303 predates the DL Imaging drivers and never did have official ASCOM drivers made available, instead the regular SBIG Universal drivers are used as direct plug-ins for your acquisition software and these are installed via the SBIGUdrv installer found on your camera's information page under downloads here:

https://diffractionlimited.com/product/stxl-6303/

I’m fairly certain that the ASCOM drivers do not show in the DL-AP installer as separate items but that they are installed automatically as part of the whole bundle and appear in the camera chooser of your acquisition software under ASCOM, as "DL Imaging" and "DL Imaging camera 2" but even so, they would be incompatible with your STXL 6303 camera and in your LT version of MaxIm you use the standard SBIG Universal camera driver for the 6303 camera, ASCOM is not an available option for that camera.

HTH

William.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

MaxIm LT is the "lite" version of MaxIm DL Pro, and does not support ASCOM camera drivers - it is restricted to Diffraction Limited/SBIG camera drivers.
    The STXL-6303 (and it's filter wheel) would be set up as SBIG Universal.

The SC-3 and AO-X are set up as DL Imaging.
    Make sure to go to the [Advanced...] settings and double click the SC-3 from the list. It will get a * beside it's entry. e.g. SC1300M123456 *
    In the AO option, choose Sensor 1. (There is only 1 sensor in the SC-3).

If you need ASCOM to use the SC-3 for some other program, you have to install the ASCOM driver after installing DL Imaging.