Asking help from Chile, STT8300 shutter issues

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Pedro Goles, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Pedro Goles

Pedro Goles Standard User

Hello. My 10 years old STT8300 camera (SN T13060398) worked fine until two months ago. From then, it having shutter problems (opened partially, closing not complete, erratic). I dismantle my system and cannot see any mechanical problems. I was reading topics here at the forum with similar issues but have not friction, screws or mechanical causes to solve. I tightened a little the rubber band of the motor, not response.
    My optical train: AO-8, FW8G-STT (filterwheel with autoguider), STT8300.

I contacted Colin Haig by email and He send me a reparation form to fill and deploy the camera, but for me it's very hard to send my precious camera to the other side of the planet with uncertainy about dates, prices, insurance themes, and finnally if the old camera will have real reparation or not.

I would like to try some suggestions before intending "the big voyage" around the world...
    Can you help me, please ?

(excuse my english)

Pedro Goles

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

@Tim can you offer any suggestions to Pedro?

3. Pedro Goles

After some months, no suggestions from Tim or someone else...
    Colin, may I send the camera directly to Bill at California, or I must send it to Canada instead?
    Do you advice Bill about that (Bill is not answering emails from common people) ?

Greetings,
    Pedro Goles

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Bill still provides some servicing of older cameras as a side-gig. You can contact him via email bill at sbig dot com.

5. Pedro Goles

Finally, after 4 emails in last 6 months, Bill answer me.

It's a brief response, only a word, even him don't sign his email...

Good bye Sbig ! I would consider another company for my next camera, a company that gives support to the consumer

Pedro Goles

Attached Files:

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Months ago I told you to fill out the form and send it in for repair to our facility in Ottawa.
    Bill is retired from repairing SBIG equipment - he has another job.