Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Astrometric Resync timeout?

Discussion in 'General' started by Daryl Janzen, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Daryl Janzen

Daryl Janzen Standard User

My mount has some drift, so in order to stay on target for a few hour imaging sequence I'd like to use astrometric resync. I was using Correct via Slew the other night, and Pinpoint seemed to be timing out on me around 50% of the time--i.e. on average a solve would fail once, then solve the next time. The approx centre and plate scale were correct, and if I stopped the sequence I could get Pinpoint to solve any image without fail, but when running during and autosave sequence it seemed to timeout after a couple of seconds and give me an error message saying something along the lines "could not solve image, it's possible your approximate plate scale is off." I'm attaching a sample image. Pinpoint solves it just fine with GSC1.1 and default settings, with FITS parameter boxes checked.

Attached Files:

2. Daryl Janzen

I think I had delay between set to 1 s. I just realised maybe this is the cause of the timeout? Ie is it quitting because it needs to get to the next image? I can test this next clear night, but that’s a few days off.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

4. Daryl Janzen

Hi Adam and Doug, just following up on this after some testing. The problem goes away when I set the delay between to 5 s. In this case, the behaviour I see is:
    -Pinpoint runs normally, solving after a second or more,
    - telescope moves to recentre on solved frame,
    - camera waits 5 s before exposing next frame, exposes, then repeat
    Here, I am running astrometric resync every exposure, with correct via slew.

The problem I was encountering before seems to arise only when I've set delay between to 1 s. In that case, the plate solve seems to get cut off, an error shows up for a fraction of a second saying that the solve failed possibly because the estimated centre is too far off, the camera starts the exposure right away, and so on. Occasionally, the plate solve is successful within the 1-2 seconds it has before being cut off, and sometimes not.