Bad router fixed! (was Windows 10 issue with Maxim 5.07)

Discussion in 'General' started by Keith, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Keith

Keith Cyanogen Customer

I have MaximDL 5.07 installed on my observatory XP computer that is networked to my office computer. The program worked perfectly with Windows 7 on my office computer. Yesterday I updated the Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I now have a problem with the Set Image Save Path in Autosave on the XP computer. Now when I click the Set Image Save Path, the XP computer hangs up in a loop that I can get out of only by shutting down the computer. Next, I restored the office computer back to Windows 7 and all works just fine. So apparently my older version of Maxim does not like saving files to a Windows 10 computer. Any ideas on what I might try short of a new observatory computer?

Thanks,

Keith

2. GlennS

GlennS Cyanogen Customer

I am finding that certain folders are subject to sharing issues (Maxim doesn't have permission to update certain files). I had this on one computer with the Maxim settings, when I moved it to a non-shared folder, the issues stopped. I haven't figured out how to fix it in general yet -- putting out the 'fires' one-by one.

3. Keith

Keith Cyanogen Customer

I agree with your assessment. I am having absolutely no issues with Maxim and W7. W10 is the problem. I went back to W7 and will probably stay with it until W10 has been proven. Since W10 was supposed to be tailored after W7, I was surprised that W10 would not treat the Maxim files the way W7 does. Anyhow, I am good for now and will look forward to when you can put out this fire.

Cheers,

Keith

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like a Windows 10 bug to me... hopefully this will go away with a Windows Update.

5. Keith

Keith Cyanogen Customer

Just so you are not sent on a wild goose chase, I think I have resolved the problem. My 10 year old modem/router gave me some indicators that it was time to replace it. When I did so, all slow issues were gone including the image path issue I was having with Maxim. Now it all works instantly. So the problem was neither a Maxim nor a Windows 10 problem. My older modem/router had simply see its day.

Cheers,

Keith

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

LOL thanks for reporting back!

7. Keith

Keith Cyanogen Customer

8. Keith

Keith Cyanogen Customer

Well, this issue reared its ugly head once again. I apologize for bringing this up once again, but apparently it was not the modem. Here is exactly what is happening.

Again the issue occurs when using Maxim DL V 5.07 on my observatory XP computers that are on the network with my Widows 10 office computer. My practice is to autosave my images from my observatory to my office computer.

The issue occurs when the observatory XP computer is first booted. If my first task is to take an image using Autosave mode, the XP computer freezes for about 2 minutes before it takes the image. After that, everything works normally as long as I do not shut off the XP computer. Or if my first task is to set the image path in Autosave, the computer freezes then as well for about 2 minutes before the image path box appears. Again, as long as the computer remains on, everything works fine from then until the next boot. This happens only when a Windows 10 computer is connected to the network. Neither of these issues occurred when the office computer was on Windows 7. If I cannot find a solution to this other than buying Windows 7 programs for the observatory computers (or the really expensive route of buying new computers), I will simply go back to Windows 7 on the office computer which I really do not want to do. Windows 10 is working beautifully in all other respects but this one.

BTW-my observatory computers have the necessary HD and memory requirements for Windows 7 and Windows 10, but since they are 32 bit, I am finding it difficult (if not impossible) to upgrade them.

So, has anyone else had this issue, and/or does anyone have any ideas I might try to rectify this problem? Since Maxim is the only program that is giving me an issue, I am hoping there is a solution that lies within this program. Windows 10 is working flawlessly in all other respects. You did mention, Doug, that there are certain files one cannot access on Windows 10, but I do save my Maxim images to the Windows 10 User folder which is accessible. As I said, my process works perfectly between my XP observatory computers and a Windows 7 computer (and I do need to save the images to the User folder there as well).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Keith Graham

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We use normal Windows API calls for this stuff - the problem is obviously happening inside a Windows component. There's not much we can do about that. Windows XP is obsolete and Microsoft is not maintaining it, and they're probably didn't actually test compatibility with Windows 10 either.

FYI, there was a big change in the file browser API between Windows XP and Vista; MaxIm DL automatically switches over depending on what OS you are running. So if you were able to upgrade your observatory machine to Windows 7 I expect the problem would go away.

The only other alternative I can suggest is to save the files on the local drive and transfer them over the network afterwards.