Baking Desiccant

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Darren Johnson, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Darren Johnson

Darren Johnson Standard User

I'm in the process of baking my Desiccant and am wondering from those who might have done this before, what to expect when I put it back into the camera. Will the frosting issue I have simply go away, will I need to cycle the coolers on and off for a while?

Thanks in advance

D Johnson
    Cuttin' Edge Observatory

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The desiccant will dry out the chamber; no additional action on your part is required. At most you would want to let the camera sit for a bit before using it, to give the desiccant time to do its job.

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Right, you'll want to cover the hole in the camera while you're baking the desiccant, 350ish F for 4 hours. Get the refreshed desiccant back in the camera as quickly as you can without burning your fingers, within a few minutes of removing it from the oven. Let it work 16-24 hours before cooling the camera. You may have to do this a couple of times before entirely drying out the chamber although I think with a STT, once will likely be enough.

-Bill