Bin2x2

Discussion in 'General' started by Geoff Hughes, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Geoff Hughes

Geoff Hughes Cyanogen Customer

I shot my Luminance frames at Bin 1 and my Ha, OIII and SII frames at Bin 2. Do any of my calibration frames need to be at Bin 2 as well for calibration to work? The message I'm getting for my Ha frames (and OIII) is "Could not calibrate. 0 of 6 images calibrated." When I tried calibrating a single image I get "No applicable calibration groups were found for this image. Please run Set Calibration." I have created Master Darks for all exposure lengths and Master Flats for all filters (as well as Master Bias). This led me to wonder about incompatibility in binning. Darks apparently must be shot at Bin 1, which makes sense. My notes on Flats mention only temperature and filters (plus focus).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hello Geoff.

In MaxIm DL (and other astrophotography image processing software) image calibration requires matching binning levels for lights, darks, flats and bias frames.

While there are fudges and work-arounds for incomplete and non-matching data sets the results are never perfect, far better to ensure you have complete matching data sets where possible.

For a description of the theory and function of image calibration and the 'Set Calibration Tool' in MaxIm DL have a look under MaxIm's built-in help feature, accessible from the top tool bar:
    'Imaging with MaxIm DL' > 'Processing Images' > 'Image Calibration' > 'Understanding Calibration Groups'

William.

3. Geoff Hughes

Thanks for your quick reply. I have visited that page in the past and found it helpful but it does not address my question exactly, which is Bin compatibility or mandatory bin matching with specific calibration groups. It lists binning in general as important but not specifically for one calibration type or another. Again, when I tried to shoot another set of Darks with Bin 2x2 it did not accept my entry; Bin 1 was displayed and greyed out. I guess my question was therefore more about Flats, which wouldn't seem to me to have much to do with binning but I could be wrong. I've watched tutorials on calibration and taken step-by-step notes and have nothing about binning with Flats. It could be they just didn't get that far into the details. Obviously I can shoot another set of Flats with Bin 2 and see but if it's irrelevant I thought posing the question on this forum would save the hassle. (By the way, you guys do an excellent job of responding. It is very appreciated. If I were 30 years younger I'd probably be able to intuit half the answers but...)

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Binning has to match.
    When you do a Dark, just select X binning 2 and Y Binning Same.
    You are saying it did not accept your entry. That makes no sense.
    binning.png

One possibility is a problem with your camera's driver software.
    Out of curiosity, which camera is it specifically?
    Did you check their website for updates?
    Which version of MaxIm ?

I find certain "cheap and cheerful" camera brands leave a bit to be desired when it comes to reliability and driver quality, but they are making efforts to improve.
    If you still can't get 2x2, then let us know, and zip up a copy of your MaxIm settings and use the Upload a File button in the lower right to attach.
    Your settings are likely somewhere like:
    C:\Users\Geoff\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings

5. William B

It might be that when you tried to take a new set of darks with bin 2x2 the 'capture mode' for want of a better description, was set to the 'Autosave' option.
    When 'Autosave' is selected then binning choice is 'greyed out' in the Camera Control Window and you have to click the Autosave button and select frame type ( Light, Dark, Bias, Flat) and binning in that tab.
    To be able to change binning in the main Camera Control window the capture mode can only be single or continuous.

Images attached.

MaxIm Binning 2.jpg
    MaxIm binning.jpg

6. Geoff Hughes

Thank you for the screen shots! That's great!
    I tried again and, you're right, I could bump it to 2 on the Autosave screen. I don't know what was going on before; I was also on this screen. So I will reshoot my Bias and Flat frames with Bin 2 and see how the calibration goes.
    So if I shot my Luminance light frames with Bin 1 and the Narrowbands with Bin 2 do I need to calibrate them as separate steps or, as I suspect, is Maxim smart enough to know?
    I'm running with Maxim V6. My camera is an Atik 11000.

7. William B

MaxIm's calibration module will match according to:
    • Frame type (bias, dark, flat)

• Temperature setpoint

• X pixel count

• Y pixel count

• X binning

• Y binning

• X pixel size

• Y pixel size

• Subframe size and location

• Exposure time

• Filter band
    Provided the captured calibration and 'lights' frames contain all the relevant exposure details in the FITS header, which they would if captured in MaxIm DL, then MaxIm will sort all the calibration frames into calibration groups automatically and you can calibrate all the light frames in a single pass, no need to process separately, saves a lot of time and effort.

Only time you need to calibrate 'lights' individually is when importing images from another capture program that may have missing information in the FITS header. MaxIm would generally warn you anyway that there were no matching calibration frames in this instance and you would create calibration groups manually and use these to calibrate a single matching light frame set at a time.

HTH

William.