Resolved Buzz sound on STX-16803 shutter motor

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Maojin, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Maojin

Maojin Standard User

Just got an old SBIG STX-16803, after update its firmware to the newest, it started to have buzz sound.
    After taking the camera apart, I found that the buzz was coming from the shutter motor, which makes a sound when it stops in certain positions. If I roll the shutter by hand, the motor will quiet down at some certain angles.
    Did I do something wrong? I didn't noticed the warning and cautions paper that said I should unplug the power before shutdown. I unplugged the USB cable before unplugged the power cable... The camera works well except the buzz sound.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can I ask for the serial number of the camera?
    The buzz is normal - the firmware is pulsing power to the motor. Different vintages of the camera and firmware and shutter motors can act a bit differently.
    Nothing to worry about.

3. Maojin

Maojin Standard User

Thank you for the reply!
    The serial number is X10040034. I'm a little worried because the sound is a bit loud and I'm afraid of damaging the motor. After all, that did not happen before upgrading the firmware. If it is because of the new firmware, is there any way to downgrade the firmware?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The sound is caused by the pulsing of the motor to control the current. We made an adjustment to the current level in order to improve the reliability of the shutter. We strongly recommend using the latest firmware. The noise is normal.

5. Maojin

Maojin Standard User

Thanks for the explanation!