Calibration Frames twice as tall as wide (inproper format)

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by ChrisMobley, Jul 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ChrisMobley

ChrisMobley Standard User

When I look at my calibration frames they are twice as tall as wide and split across the middle in half as if they are two different images, one lighter. PixInsight states improper format error.
    I have read almost everything in your help files on CCD/CMOS Imaging tutorials, Observatory Control, Imaging with Maxim DL, Capturing Images, Processing Images and having a hard time finding how to address this issue.
    Your interest and consideration in this matter is most sincerely appreciated.
    Delaware State University scope PlaneWave 24
    at Sierra Remote Observatory with SBIG aluma ac-4040 with filter wheel

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

FITS header says:

READOUTM = 'HDR ' / Readout mode of image

You have the readout mode set to HDR. The top half of the image is the high gain version, and the bottom half is the low-gain version.

You probably want to change that to High Gain StackPro mode.

Please refer to the camera manual for more information.

https://diffractionlimited.com/downloads/SBIG_Aluma_AC_Series_Users_Manual.pdf

3. ChrisMobley

Doug-
    Yo da man! Man, I have been looking everywhere for that setting and told Gary that I thought it had to be a camera setting.
    I assume I will be able to change that on line and that is not a manual setting.
    Thank you so much, very appreciated.

4. ChrisMobley

Doug-
    Ok, I am a dummy. Read manual and went to DL config window and set up window in DL and found read out mode.
    It was greyed out so went back to PW4 and disconnected and gat back to R/O mode and it states N/A. Now what?
    Went to PW4 window under camera set up it just says "No setting need to be changed for this driver"
    Sorry to be such a pain.Please advise.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The control is on the Expose tab. If you are using Autosave then you have to set it up in that dialog.

If you're still confused... ZIP your Settings folder (Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings) and post it here.

6. ChrisMobley

Doug- your great.
    I can change it in both places but it defaults HDR in autosave. I am afraid when Gary Swangin uses camera he will miss changing that seting.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I have lost my red box that enabled me to start a new thread so please forgive this new direction.
    I am unable to run stack because I keep getting this error message:

"Group "M51 20sec 6-26-23 Red" is a color channel of a LRGB group;
    it must not contain color images or have Auto Color Convert set"
    Even though I try it both ways and turn Auto Color Convert off or on. "My color channel should not be in my LRGB group'? Then where should it be?
    i THINK i AM GETTING SLOWER IN MY OLF AGE.

Attached Files:

7. ChrisMobley

8. ChrisMobley

Thanks, Doug

Attached Files:

9. ChrisMobley

Doug- Did I read somewhere there is a way to combine the double stack into a single stack and use in PI?
    Thanks

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

For images taken through filters, ALWAYS turn off Auto Color Convert. That is only used for Bayer-encoded one-shot color images, and turning that on will conflict with trying to do LRGB combines.

Note that the setting on the dialog box only affects newly-added images. If you change the check mark after you load a set of images, you have to right-click on the group and change the setting there.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm sorry I don't understand the question.

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Doug, I think he means to convert the 8192 x 4096 to 4096x4096 HDR. eg with the tool in MaxIm. although he is using PixInsight.

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There is a plug-in for MaxIm DL Pro for performing the HDR merge function. HDR is a bit of a fussy process... much easier to simply use High Gain StackPro mode. But here's a brief summary of the steps:

Download the plug-in - https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/downloads/HDRMergePlugIn.zip

Unzip to a folder on your hard drive, and add it to the plug-in menu using Plug-in menu Add/Remove Plug-in.

Open an HDR image that is either a light frame or a flat frame with lots of pixels between 300 and 2400 ADU. Click Calibrate HDR Merge, then Calibrate. This will fill in the Gain Ratio, High Gain Bias, and Low Gain Bias fields. Once the calibration is set you can process all your images. (You might want to redo the calibration occasionally, similar to how you occasionally refresh your dark frames.)

HDR images from the 4040 will have dark pixels included, so be sure to turn on "Use Dark Pixels". Now click Process to convert your HDR image. Repeat for all your images.

Tips: I recommend performing dark frame calibration first, before HDR merge, using HDR dark frames. Then perform HDR merge. Then perform flat-fielding. (It is easier to use High Gain flat field images rather than HDR.)

Greg Nelson likes this.
  14. ChrisMobley

Thanks Doug -
    I checked my settings on pull down menu and the Auto Color convert was not checked.
    I don't know what to do next.
    BTW that plug in for HDR merge function sounds like the answer, much appreciated.

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Clear everything, make sure the settings are correct on the dialog box, and then reload the images.

Right-click on the group and make sure it's set to the correct mode. Right-click on the individual sub-groups and make sure they're set correctly, too.

Read the error message generated and understand what it's telling you.

16. ChrisMobley

Will do, thanks so much.