Camera 1/2 work, but not together. Atik One 9 and SSAG

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by John Willman, Nov 4, 2015.

1. John Willman

John Willman Standard User

Using MaximDL demo and I can run the Atik and Orion SSAG just fine, but only if they are the only connected camera. If I have either the Atik or the SSAG as the only camera setup, they work fine. What occurs when both cameras are connected is that the software will hang after an exposure, no image is downloaded, and the status says "Reading" or sometimes I'll get a runtime error and Maxim shuts down. It doesn't matter which camera I try to use, which is camera 1 or 2. I've tried both the Atik plugin and ASCOM drivers for the Atik camera as well as the plugin and ASCOM driver for the Orion SSAG and various combinations of threading.

Ascom platform is version 6.1.1.2627. Atik drivers downloaded from Atik site in the last week.

Ideas? Thanks.

2. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

Are you using a USB hub? If so remove it and connect each camera directly to its own USB port on the back of the PC, one that connects directly to the motherboard or USB card, not one that runs through the wiring in the PC case.

3. John Willman

John Willman Standard User

Joshua, thanks, but I don't think USB communication is the issue. I can run both cameras fine over a 50 foot USB cable with repeaters and the SSAG plugged into the hub provided by the Atik One camera if I use MaximDL for the Atik and PHD2 for the SSAG. I've tested that setup for about 16 hours of taking images and guiding with zero issues. Just to rule it out, I have been testing with the Atik and SSAG plugged directly into their own USB ports with 2M cables before I first posted. I've tried a complete reinstall of ASCOM, Maxim, and Atik drivers and have the same issue. I think there is a problem with the SSAG drivers or plugin and my camera somehow. If I use the plugin, when the image from the SSAG downloads after I first take a pic with the Atik I receive a C++ runtime error in CCDPlugSSAG.dll. When I use the ASCOM SSAG driver I receive an unhandled exception in the ASCOM SSAG setup dialog related to an argument exception. What is strange is that if camera 1 is the SSAG, and the only camera, it works fine with the SSAG plugin, I setup camera 2 as the ATIK, take a few pics with the SSAG, still fine, take a pic with the Atik and the CCDPlugSSAG.dll faults again, but I wasn't trying to use the SSAG? ITs like threads are stomping on each other.

OK, I've been typing this as I've been troubleshooting and I noticed I had the Atik set to access camera on separate thread. Once I unchecked that both cameras starting working :). I'm not gonna argue with it since its working now, but I would have thought there would have been less interference between the cameras if they each ran on their own thread. -JW