Camera Disconnect Error

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Kenneth Thomas Menzies, Jun 30, 2024.

1. Kenneth Thomas Menzies

Kenneth Thomas Menzies Cyanogen Customer

Tonight, I started my AL3200 camera with Maxim v6.5. Camera connected but when I turned cooler on, after a few seconds the camera disconnected with error message (Camera disconnected, unexpected error, (-4).

Any idea what might have happened? Help appreciated.

Ken

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Ken,
    Is this a one-time occurrence, or does the camera continue to do this?

Things to check:
    1. USB Selective Suspend and Windows Power Management
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/
    - especially if a Window update went in recently

2. Check USB cabling, and any hubs or extenders. Sometimes simply re-seating the connector by removing and reinserting the cable is sufficient.
    Oxidation and corrosion do happen.

3. Check power supply cabling, extensions, any power control boxes and power supplies. Verify +12VDC is avaialble at the camera connector.
    The cooler is the highest load in the system.
    If you have high ambient temperatures, and are trying to cool beyond the Delta T of the camera, it will draw a lot of current, and this can result in a voltage drop, and possible problem with reliability.

If it continues to occur, let us know. We'll want to turn on the Debug Logging for RAW IO in the DL Imaging driver setup.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Just FYI, error -4 is a generic "no connection" message. Does the camera appear in the Windows Device Manager?

4. Kenneth Thomas Menzies

Colin:

I tried unplugging and using 'deoxit' on all cables/connectors. Still had the disconnection error/problem after clicking 'connect' in Maxim on the observatory computer. So, I brought the camera inside the house with all its cables and connected to my laptop's usb port. The camera was recognized/setup by Win10 on the laptop and installed. After setting up the correct camera model drivers in Maxim (took a couple of choices!), the camera connects properly and no longer immediately disconnects! I am able to operate the camera and FW as expected. Camera cools as expected. SO, what cabling in/from my Paramount to the observatory computer is messing up? More sleuthing to do but at least it appears that the camera is fine!

Whew! Ken

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Ken,
    Glad to hear the camera is ok.

Usual suspects I've learned personally and from other customers:
    Don't use the USB hub in the Paramount. It is ok for low speed stuff.
    Temperature affects USB hubs and extenders. When it gets hot or cold, they go off frequency and become unreliable.

6. Kenneth Thomas Menzies

BTW, is there a newer DL Imaging driver that does not just jump to 13% power and hold when you click 'Warmup" after run?

Ken

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member