Cameras and Pegasus Ultimate V2

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Sreilly, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Sreilly

Sreilly Cyanogen Customer

I'm looking at using the Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox V2 on my home and setup at SRO. The SRO setup will have a new Aluma AC4040 camera while at home I'm still using the STL-11000M. Not being familiar with the Pegasus unit I'm curious what I'll need to do to power these cameras from that unit. Anyone done this yet and care to enlighten me please? Not sure about the AC4040 but I think the STL-11000 has multiple power connections on the plug. I know the plug is a multi-pin style plug.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

From Page 23 of the user manual:

Just one warning: Make sure you don't get the power connection backwards. If you do and the USB plug is in, it will short 12V to the USB ground - nothing good comes of that! If you want to test your connector, make sure the camera is isolated from ground and don't plug any other cables into it. If it powers up, everything is good. If it doesn't, unplug it immediately and check your connections.

3. Sreilly

Thanks Doug but does that work for both cameras?

4. Sreilly

After looking at the connector I think this is only for the AC4040 so what is needed for the STL-11000M? John still has the camera at OGS......

5. Sreilly

Hey Doug,

Seems SBIG use to have a 12 volt cable that had a cigarette socket connector on it. If I can find one of those, or a wiring diagram of it, I'm guess I can cut the cigarette socket connector and install the correct connector for the Powerbox. Is that correct?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We don't have one for the big cameras. The camera's current requirements exceed that of the cables we have available.

7. Sreilly

Doug what is the proper name for the connector I need. I'll see if any of the electronics warehouses stock these. I just measured mine and it's 1/2" diameter 6 pin.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

See message #2 above. It's available from digikey.com

9. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

For the STL-11000M CCD camera the 6 pin connector looks like a Switchcraft 12BL6MX, available from Mouser.

Having both items on hand, the connector does seem a perfect fit for the STL-11K.

Per the STL11000 manual (Figure A2) there are three +12V-DC pins and three "return" pins for the 12VDC power @ 6A
    Obviously extreme caution is advised on this project. Hopefully the AC to DC power supply is available so one can compare
    existing cable to a DiY version.

10. Sreilly

Thanks Tim that's the connector I was needing.

11. Sreilly

Tim I did see the electrical info in the manual but have to admit, even with some decent background wiring the term "return" was throwing me and I was guessing that was my "ground" wires. I've never heard it called return. Learn something new everyday. I do have a good friend who was/is heavy into ham radio and has these connectors and will wire up a cable for me. Chuck has a great background in electronics.

12. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

The terminology is a bit confusing. The next challenge is to find the multiconductor cable at a reasonable price.

13. Sreilly

Been there done that with the rewiring of the dome motors wiring.