CamMaxim.StartSequence?

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Fred Herrmann, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Fred Herrmann

Fred Herrmann Cyanogen Customer

If Maxim waits for the fw to stop turning before doing the exposure I can't blame the MaximDL disconnects on the fw. I am waiting on the exposure to finish via the Cam.ImageReady = False.

So we're basically back to to fixing the random disconnects. I've already uploaded the SBIG STT driver logs along with your Maxim logs. Guess I'll have to wait for Adam or someone to take a look and see if we can determine what's causing the disconnects. I'm finished with the Maxim camera interface. We just need to stop the disconnects.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

We have had no other reports of random disconnects, so it must be something localized to your system.

To be clear, you are saying using *no scripts at all*, in Autosave, Sequence or otherwise and only the MaxIm DL GUI, MaxIm DL randomly disconnects after taking an exposure?

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Please zip and send us your "Settings" folder located in "My Documents/MaxIm DL 5", so we may see what options you have set.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

MaxIm DL, CCDSoft, and TheSkyX all use the same SBIG drivers...so the cause is not the drivers or hardware IMO.

The SBIG driver logs record no errors during disconnect.

The MaxIm DL logs have no indication of errors, and actually record the disconnect, so it is disconnecting cleanly, as if the Disconnect button is pushed. If I had to guess, something is requesting that MaxIm DL disconnect from the camera.

5. Fred Herrmann

6. Fred Herrmann

I load Maxim, connect to the STT and after 13 minutes Maxim disconnects all by itself, complete with the "ding-dong" sound. Albeit a clean disconnect, it's still disconnecting without any help from a button push, script command ect.

If you don't think that is a problem either do I. I'm moving on.

Thanks,

Fred

7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You are not providing any information to find the cause. The log files indicate nothing so are of no use. Can you send me your Settings folder?

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I don't see any logs displaying an idle camera after connecting...all of the logs you send show connect...a few exposures, then a disconnect. Are you connecting...then with no further input or commands, it disconnects? Can you send me *all* of your log files including the one where the camera is connected...sits idle, then disconnect.

9. Fred Herrmann

Here's the Maxim folder from the documents. Please tell me what's wrong.

Attached Files:

10. Fred Herrmann

Tim,

This is really simple:

Run Maxim

Connect to STT/SGFW/AO

Let it sit for awhile...

Maxim disconnects from the STT for no reason. All by itself with no input from anyone or anything.

You already have every log and all the info that I have. No error code is generated. It just does a clean disconnect from the STT.

Fred

11. Tim

Tim Staff Member

We have tested this using our STT/SGFW/AO, and we can not reproduce any disconnects.

Looking at your log files "20141030.log" at 2:05:16 it appears you connected and ~15 minutes later it disconnected...did you manually disconnect? It appears to disconnect automatically even using the Simulator can you confirm this?

Is there any other software running besides basic Windows programs?

Does the same issue occur on a different computer?

12. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Fred,
    I did independent tests (45 min) with the same hardware setup you have (STT + FW8G + AO8) with MaximDL 6.07, Win 8.1, 64 bit withut any problems,
    ie. no disconnections either if connected camera was left alone and/or I did tracking exposures.

I have also explored your STT SBIG Driver Log file and there seems to be no errors, just the last two commands
    At t = 22.122: =========================
    At t = 22.122: CC_CLOSE_DEVICE : begin
    At t = 22.122: CC_CLOSE_DEVICE : end, err = 00 - No Error
    At t = 22.122: =========================
    At t = 22.122: CC_CLOSE_DRIVER : begin
    At t = 22.122: CC_CLOSE_DRIVER : end, err = 00 - No Error
    closed your device and then closed the driver, but no errors were reported.
    Looks I have the same results as Tim above.

Regards,
    Jan

13. Fred Herrmann

Jan,

I was just running Maxim 5.24 in simulator mode and it disconnects by itself. I've run it on another laptop and have also had the same automatic disconnects. Based on the disconnects between Maxim and its "Simulator" I'd have to conclude that it's internal to Maxim.

Fred

14. Fred Herrmann

Here's a screen grab where it did a disconnect in the middle of a 15 second simulator exposure.

Attached Files:

15. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Please post a list of your running processes.

16. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Also ensure *ALL* other programs are turned off when testing disconnects with MaxIm DL.

17. Fred Herrmann

Here tis...

Attached Files:

18. Fred Herrmann

PS: I don't think this is good programming practice, but I've gotten around the disconnects by creating a new MaximCam Object "everytime" I take an exposure....

Dim objMaximCam As New MaxIm.CCDCamera
    objMaximCam.LinkEnabled = True

Questions are:

Does each instance use memory?

Does the Win GC dispose of the unused MaximCam objects?

19. Tim

Tim Staff Member

20. Fred Herrmann

When I first saw your post I thought you were joking and then I saw the "Disable.AutoShutdown" property in the help file. I tried it and I like it since it appears to have fixed the problem Took about 50 subs using the simulator and it didn't disconnect.

Easy fix for what appeared to be an elusive problem.

Thanks,

Fred