Can I use an SBIG AO-X with an FLI PL16803 and a Lodestar?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Kurious George, May 31, 2020.

1. Kurious George

Kurious George Cyanogen Customer

I'd like to purchase an AO-X . Before I do will it work to spec with this combination?

1. FLI PL16803 Camera
    2. Sequence Generator Pro
    3. Starlight Xpress Lodestar attached to Astrodon MOAG
    4. PHD2

Thanks!

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No. You need an SBIG camera to control an AO-X.

3. Kurious George

Got it. What setup do you recommend that's as good or better than the FLI PL16803 ? I'd like to keep my FLI filter wheel if possible.

This is for a Planewave CDK24.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Certainly it is possible to use the FLI filter wheel with our hardware, though you would have to mechanically adapt it. It would probably require some kind of custom adapter.

There are a few options for guiding. You can use an SBIG StarChaser SC-3, which is an integrated off-axis guide camera and directly controls the AO-X.

Another option would be to use an off-axis guide accessory such as the Monster MOAG. You could then use our STX-16803 as the main camera, and use the Remote Guide Head as the guider.

Still another option would be to use a Monster MOAG with a different SBIG camera, such as the STF-8300M.

5. Kurious George

Can I continue to use my Astrodon MOAG and Lodestar, or must those be replaced with the SC-3?

And since I can't continue to use my FLI Proline 16803, would that be replaced with the STX-16803 for equal or better performance?

And just a note that the computer controls the observatory via an Icron USB extender over fiber. So I'd need a setup that would perform full 10hz AO with that constraint.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The Lodestar cannot be used as the guide camera. The guider needs to have an SBIG I2C/AUX port and be compatible with our drivers, which provide the AO functionality.

You can use your MOAG with a Remote Guide Head connected to an STX-16803.

The SBIG STX-16803 and FLI Proline 16803 are comparable cameras with essentially the same performance.

One advantage of the STX is that it can be controlled via Ethernet directly. So if you have a spare port on your fiber connection you can talk to it directly without USB.

7. Kurious George

Thank you. Do you have an email where we can continue this discussion to help towards a quote?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We can use Private Message, and @Colin Haig can help you with the quote. I'll kick that off.