Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Cannot guide with Aluma 694 and FW8G filter wheel

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by roger baylon, Dec 9, 2019.

1. roger baylon

roger baylon Cyanogen Customer

Colin,
    I was able to get well-focused stars on the imaging chip (FWHM of 1.9) and a somewhat focused star on the guide chip (FWHM 3.8). The moon is fairly bright.

However, i was not able to track because of the following error:
    "error in plug-in (519)"
    "error in guide camera plug-in"

Do you have any suggestions?

Roger

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can safely ignore that error. It won't affect your image acquisition. It's on the list to be fixed but it has no major effect.

3. roger baylon

Thanks, Doug

I will ignore the error--but it stopped tracking after the first tracking exposure.

4. roger baylon

Doug,

Did you mean that the camera will still track even though it does not report any tracking results?

If so, I would not know how well it is tracking and it would be quite difficult to take corrective actions.

5. roger baylon

I have a new Aluma 694 with the FW8G filter wheel which puts the guide star sensing in front of the filters.

I have not been able to guide because of a nasty message which occurs as soon as I try to begin tracking:
    "error in plug-in (519)"
    "error in guide camera plug-in"

In theory, I have the latest drivers because that is what the driver checker reports, but I suspect that something is wrong with the drivers.

I was told by Doug to ignore the error message but that does not help because it won't track.

Maybe I should do this: remove the filter wheel and test whether I can guide without the filter wheel?

Maybe I made a mistake in buying the filter wheel with the guide star sensing in front of the filter wheel, because it may be a little bit too state of the art?

Any tips from anyone would be appreciated.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Roger, let's have one of our technical staff like @Adam Robichaud look into your issue.

7. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

The good news: It would appear that MaxIm DL 6.21 has fixed the issue with the FITS key callback throwing errors.
    The bad news: It would appear there's a bug in the DL Imaging plugin that affects Guiding via the Guider Relays. We think we've identified the problem and are pursuing a solution ASAP.
    I've given Roger a beta version of the DLLs that should get him up and running for now.

8. roger baylon

Hello Adam,
    Despite all your successful help (a) getting my Aluma 694 to connect to my computer and then (b) getting the filter wheel to work, I am back to square one. I cannot connect to the camera.
    This may be because I tried to install several programs as a test (SGPro, Voyager, Nina, CCD Ops).
    Can you help me?
    Sorry for the trouble!

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

CCD Ops will not work with the Aluma, it is for the classic
    SBIG ST/STL/STT/STXL/STX series cameras.
    Other programs must use ASCOM to talk to your Aluma.
    Selecting an SBIG driver in other programs only works for the classic SBIG ST/STL/STT/STXL/STX series cameras.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Roger is being helped offline by our service department.