Canon 5DSR support?

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by MattDrake, Jan 28, 2017.

1. MattDrake

MattDrake Standard User

Hi,

My Canon 5DSR seems to connect successfully, but when I take a test exposure I get the error message "kEdsCameraCommand_TakePicture failed (0x00002003)" and the exposure isn't taken.

I'm using the Canon EOS II setting. The camera itself is in bulb mode. Mirror lockup is disabled. Canon utility is not running.

Any advise as how to overcome this?

Thanks.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The default DLL does not work either?

Unfortunately, the Canon 5DS R is not specifically supported at this time, but will be eventally. At this point however, we do not have a release date available.

If you are able to connect the camera it is likely only because it sees the camera as a variant of the Canon 5D. The other camera specific functions will likely not work however without additional development work on our end.

3. MattDrake

MattDrake Standard User

That'll be beyond my demo license period then..! Real shame seeing as the 5DS/R's were released some 20 months ago.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Matt, I'm another MaxIm customer with a few Canon cameras. It seems that every time Canon releases new firmware for the cameras, they break the software interface (not just to MaxIm, but to other apps as well). It's been pretty frustrating.

Owen Lawrence at Diffraction has ben making a few changes to support different Canon models, and hopefully we'll see something stable in the coming months. 6.13 with the 08 patch works ok with the 6D and 1.1.6 firmware; but then Canon released 1.1.7 firmware, and that broke things. Of course, no docs from Canon saying that they changed something in the programming interface!

I don't have a 5DR S, (thought the pixels might be too small for astrophotography).
    Which firmware are you running? I think the latest one is from end of November 2016, so its like a moving target.