Canon EOS Ra CR3 support

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Wolfgang Valentin, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Wolfgang Valentin

Wolfgang Valentin Standard User

Demo version does not support CR3 files, or am I missing something? I found a resolved thread to this question on the registered users forum but cannot access it. Can anybody help? Thank you in advance, Wolfgang

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hello Wolfgang,
    MaxIm 6.21 does not support the new .CR3 file format.
    What camera are you trying to use?

Canon introduces cameras and the Software Development Kit follows several months later. The EOS Ra came out in November 2019; the latest SDK revision came out a few weeks ago.
    The file formats are a different thing, and we don't have updated tools to support the new .CR3 format.

3. Wolfgang Valentin

Hello Colin,

thank you for your response. I am using the Canon Ra. From my understanding, images can only be produced by the camera whether as CR3 or JPEG files. So, the only way to go for the moment would be to work with JPEG files?

Regards, Wolfgang

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

MaxIm 6.21 can't control the camera either.
    Working with JPGs isn't very satisfactory due to the compression.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The camera probably comes with Canon utility software of some kind. That should be able to convert the images from CR3 to 16-bit TIFF files. If so then MaxIm DL can work with that.

6. Wolfgang Valentin

Thank you Colin and Doug. I could not find a way to transfer the files from CR3 to TIFF with Canon Software, but other tools can be found on the Internet that help. I will give that a try. However, is there an estimated time schedule when Canon Ra/CR3 support will be implemented in MaximDL?

Regards, Wolfgang

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Not yet. We are dependent on some tools from Canon and a third party; and we have other items ahead of this.