Can't discover Apogee Alta U32

Discussion in 'General' started by Madison Lindsey, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Madison Lindsey

Madison Lindsey Standard User

I have the latest version of MaxImDL running on Windows 10. I can't get my Apogee Alta U32 to connect. I tried to discover it but not luck. The computer sees it as an unknown device with no driver. Thanks for any help.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If it doesn't show up correctly in the Device Manager, then your problem has nothing to do with the application software. This is on the camera side.

Either (a) you need to install the Apogee camera drivers, or (b) there's a problem with the USB interface in the camera itself.

Have a look at the device details in the Device Manager. It should have a VID (vendor ID) and PID (product ID). If they're zero then the camera or USB port isn't working properly. If they're not zero then you just need to install the correct drivers.

Some basic things to check:
    • Make sure the Apogee drivers are installed
    • Get a fresh USB cable
    • Plug into a different USB port on the computer
    • Avoid using hubs
    • Make sure power management is disabled on the USB port
    • Try a different computer

3. Madison Lindsey

Thanks
    I'll look at the device manager tomorrow and see what is says.
    I'll also try the other suggestions you made

4. Madison Lindsey

Where can I get a fresh set of Apogee drivers? I looked on the Andor site and they don't have any Apogee drivers in their software and driver download section.
    Maybe I just need to buy new equipment.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It probably is time to consider looking at a current camera such as the current SBIG models. Let me know if you need a hand.
    That said, I think you need to go here:
    http://www.andor.com/downloads
    Scroll down until you see the following, then download and install it:
    Andor Driver Pack - 2.103.30031.0 (CCD,ICCD & EMCCD)
    I believe that has ALL of their drivers for all of their cameras, including the old Apogees like yours.
    That should do it.
    They also have a version of the ASCOM driver you would install afterwards if you want to talk to the camera with ASCOM:
    Apogee Ascom Driver v5.5.4

Good luck!

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

In the process of trying to help another Apogee customer, I discovered they've updated some files, and on their download site, you can find:
    Windows Driver and SDK Installer
    “The Apogee Unified Installer will install both the 32bit Apogee SDK and, on 64bit Windows, also the 64bit SDK. It will also install the correct driver for your Windows platform (32/64).”

Downloading that gives you:
    apgSwInstall-x86.zip
    Unzip and install it.

For some reason, Andor has not included the Apogee drivers in the Andor Driver Pack - 2.103.30031.0 (CCD,ICCD & EMCCD)
    I believe that has drivers for all of their OTHER cameras, not including the Apogees like yours.
    Let me know if you get anywhere with that, and if I learn anything from Andor, I'll pass it on here.