Resolved CCDOps Crashses on Camera Connect

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Michael Heald, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Michael Heald

Michael Heald Standard User

Hello! I am having trouble with CCDOps crashing when I try to connect to my SBIG ST-i after selecting parallel ports instead of USB under the Misc tab.

I recently moved and got my telescope system out of storage after a year in order to start my photometry program back up. When I connected the ST-i to my Intel Compute Stick, it connected fine, but did not download/take an image (No shutter click and the power light stays lit. I've sent an email to technical support for repair.)

I decided to try the ST-i on my home laptop to double check it. I downloaded Drive Checker and CCDOps and made sure everything was updated.

When I tried to connect the camera, the program said that it could not connect to the port. The SBIG camera showed up under Devices as working properly and USB was selected in the Misc tab.

Reloading the program and Drive Checker did not work. I decided to see if selecting Serial ports and Parallel ports under Misc might force the program to detect the USB connection when I selected it again.

Unfortunately, when I clicked parallel ports, the program crashed. It crashes again each time I try to connect to the camera even though USB is selected in the Misc tab and the device shows that it is working fine under Devices.

I've tried deleting everything, reloading, and updating several times to no avail.

I would appreciate guidance. Thank you.

Mike

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you confirm you are running SBIG Driver Checker 4.05, and that the version of the sbigudrv.dll is 5.1.1.0 ?
    Can you confirm you have CCDOps 5.66 ?

Launch Driver Checker. Click on the Firmware tab. Click Get firmware version from camera. Does that work?
    If so, then the camera is talking to the SBIG drivers.

3. Michael Heald

Hello! Thank you for your quick reply.

I am using SBIG Driver Checker 4.05, sbigudrv.dll 5.1.1.0. My CCDOps is 5.61 (the current version downloaded from the ST-i page).

When I connect the camera to a USB port on my laptop, the computer detects it. However, when I click on "Get Firmware" in Drive Checker, it states, "Could not establish a link to the camera. Please make sure it is attached via USB and try again."

It does connect to my Compute Stick, so I must have messed up some setting on my laptop.

Again, thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Mike

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mike,
    I'm sorry to contradict you, but the current version of CCDOps is 5.66 Build 1. I just downloaded it myself to double check that I wasn't crazy:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/downloads/InstOps.exe
    So you'll want to fix that.

This is a hint of the ACTUAL problem:
    Steps to fix:
    1. Unplug the USB cable between the PC and ST-I.
    2. Launch Device Manager.
    3. View... Show Hidden Devices
    4. Look for any SBIG Cameras in the listing. They will be "grayed out".
    5. Uninstall them by right clicking on each one. If it gives you the option to [x] delete the drivers, do so.
    6 . Repeat until they are all gone.
    7. Reboot
    8. Run Driver Checker, and Update.
    9. Plug in the ST-I.
    10. Windows should find it, and you can check that it did in the Device Manager.

If you still need a hand, I could remote into your PC and fix this.

5. Michael Heald

Thank you! I just sent the ST-i in for repair of its shutter, so I'll have it back in about a week.

I updated the CCDOps. In hidden view of the Device Manager, there are two SBIG cameras with firmware listed under the hidden view. I'll get everything done that you described when the ST-i is returned, and that should do it!

Thank you again. Best regards.

Mike

6. Michael Heald

Hello! I just received the camera. After performing the above twice, the same issue persists. CCDOps crashes on my laptop when I try to connect to the camera; however, it runs fine on my Intel Compute Stick. Best regards.

Mike

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Mike, one more thing.
    SBIG CCDOps keeps most of its setting in the Windows Registry.
    Uninstalling the software may leave these registry settings behind.
    If you are familiar with the registry editor, you could search for and delete the keys under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SBIG\CCDOps5
    Be very careful doing this.
    You may wish to create a System Restore Point first, and then backup those registry keys in case something goes wrong.

9. Michael Heald

Hello! I edited the registry and reloaded everything. Now, CCDOps does not crash when I try to connect it to the camera. However, I am back to not detecting the camera even though it shows up under the Device Manager. No camera is detected either in CCDOps or DriveChecker Firmware.

Of note, my ST-402 works fine with the current drivers and CCDOps.

As I mentioned, I have not updated the driver on my Intel Compute Stick from several years ago. It works fine with CCDOps on the compute stick. Could their be a difference between the old a new driver? The Compute stick is 32-bit, I believe while my laptop is 64-bit. Best regards.

Mike

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Disconnect the camera.
    Device Manager - View... Show Hidden Devices.
    Right click and uninstall all instances of the camera. They will be greyed out. If it offers a check box to [] uninstall the device driver (or something like that), check it, agree.
    Launch Driver Checker 4.05. Remove the drivers.
    Power off.
    Reboot.
    Launch Driver Checker 4.05. Update the drivers. Done.

Connect the camera, it should be recognized after several seconds.
    You should see it in the Device Manager.
    Launch Driver Checker.
    It should be able to report the firmware info.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

This Driver Checker 4.05 is current and has SBIGudrv.dll 5.1.1.0 and it works:
    sbig_5110.png
    and firmware 2.37:
    sti_237.png

If your ST-I has really ancient firmware, there is a chance of a problem.
    Otherwise, this just works.
    Drivers are 32-bit.
    OS can be 32 or 64-bit, Windows 7 through 11.

CCDOps 5.66, Establish Link, Camera... Camera Info should show something like this:
    ccdops_camera_info_sti.png

Good luck. If you still can't resolve, we could schedule a TeamViewer session and I could have a look, but frankly, this is usually trivial to get it going, and I really suspect something is corrupt on your PC.

12. Michael Heald

Hello!

Yes, I've done the above a number of times. Re-downloaded CCDOps and DriveChecker today from the website, and all versions are current. The camera is always detected in Device Manager but cannot be detected in CCDOps or DriveChecker.

The only difference between my DriveChecker screen and what you show is that it shows sbigu64.sys rather than sbigu32.sys as shown in your picture.

DriveChecker cannot connect with the camera on my laptop. When I checked the firmware with DriveChecker with my Intel ComputeStick, it is listed as st-iusb.bf2 as in your captured image.

Mike

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What VERSION of firmware shows up on ComputeStick?
    2.37?

14. Michael Heald

Yes - 2.37

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'm running out of ideas.
    If the SBIG Driver Checker Firmware tab doesn't find the camera, then the problem is nothing to do with CCDOps, it's more fundamental - there is something wrong communication between any program, the sbigudrv.dll, and the windows device drivers for the camera.

On the machine that doesn't talk:
    Disconnect the camera.
    Remove the device drivers using SBIG Driver Checker.
    Device Manager - View Hidden Devices, remove all SBIG cameras, and select that option to remove the device drivers from the system.

Uninstall SBIG Driver Checker.

Registry Editor
    Delete
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SBIG\SBIGUDRV

File Explorer
    Delete this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG\Driver Checker 64

Look in the C:\windows folder and subfolders for the following files, and delete them:
    SBIGDriverChecker64.ini
    sbigudrv.dll
    sbigu64.sys
    sbig?cam.hex where ? is a wildcard
    sbigfga.bin

There are some others, but you have to be careful as Windows manages them under the driver store.
    sbigu*.*

Reboot.
    Reinstall driver checker, Update to install the drivers, Done, exit.
    Attach the camera. Let windows find it.
    Launch driver checker. Firmware tab - get firmware version from camera.

If this still does not work, the only option is a remote session where I have a look at your machine.
    OR you can reload the operating system on this machine.

16. Michael Heald

Hello! The same thing happens. It shows up in Device manager but DriveChecker does not detect it.

Mike

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What happens if the camera plugged into a USB port on the back of the PC with a short cable (3 feet / 1m) that is known good?

18. Michael Heald

Solved!

I ran the USB cable through my powered hub and everything connected. When I tried to run it from the USB port directly on the laptop again, it would not connect.

Curious, since it did not need a powered hub on the Intel Compute Stick. I figured the Compute Stick would have been lower power, and if it could connect directly from the USB port on it, it should have been able to connect directly to the USB hub on the laptop. Even more curious is that the ST-402 did not need a powered hub but could connect directly through the USB port on the laptop.

So, problem solved! Just curious that the ST-i needs a powered hub on the laptop but not on the Intel Compute Stick. Best regards.

Mike

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Aha! Your laptop is not proving enough "juice" !

The ST-I draws all of it's power from the USB bus, and it expects +5V at 500mA.
    The ST-402 has an external power supply, and just uses USB for communication.
    If the ST-I is not getting enough power from the USB bus, then it will not operate properly.

We've had good success with StarTech Industrial USB hubs, running off +12V. They work well at extended temperature ranges, and are really reliable.

Good thinking on your part to try the powered hub.

What exact laptop make/model is it? In case someone else runs into this...

20. Michael Heald

An older Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series