Celestron C14 Hand Controller Not Working?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rich Hall, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Rich Hall

Rich Hall Standard User

Hello - and thanks for any help in advance.

To call me a newbie would be kind. I just bought two telescopes at auction - a C14 and and Ultima 8 - and am diving into getting them working properly, or perhaps understanding them. I know, it would be wiser to start with the 8 which seems to be working fine, I am troubleshooting the 14.

The C14 sets up with less difficulty than the other forums I've read might have led me to believe. Being a big guy helps in that regard. When given power, the red light comes on and the motor has an almost silent whir. Given time, I see the time scale on the base prove that the motor is indeed rotating the mount.

The hand controller does not seem to do anything, though. I have opened both the hand controller and the cover of the base to find that all wiring seems to be connected, quite well made, actually. I toggle the slow motion rate switch left and right and click the hand controller switches but get nothing. With the cover off the base, I hear no change of pitch to the motor. I have cleaned the contacts of the hand controller.

Any ideas on what might be wrong and how I might fix this?

Again, thanks for any help.