Resolved CFW-10 serial used with USB-to-Serial converter

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by FloEd, Apr 25, 2018.

1. FloEd

FloEd Standard User

I want to use my CFW10-SA without camera and directly with serial interface.
    But my computer doesn't have an RS-232 serial port, only USB. I'm using an USB-to-Serial converter between RS-232 filter whell and my computer (Prolific driver on Com Port 8), but I can't use it in CCDSoft when I select Filter wheel : CFW-10 serial or same thing in Prism 10 software, when I select stand alone Filter wheel => CFW-10 serial and Serial Port 8 (same thing if I choose Serial Port 1).

Is it needed to install other utilities ? which one ?

This filter wheel work great if directly connected to I2C input directly on my old ST-2000.

Many thanks for your help.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

First, are you certain that you have identified the correct serial port number? Check in the Windows Device Manager. To be certain unplug the converter and it should disappear.

Ports COM8 and higher may not be compatible with some software (different format is required to open the port). You can reassign the COM port number via the Device Manager.

Lastly, check that your cable isn't damaged, and try a different converter. Perhaps find an older computer where you can check operation with a built-in COM port.

3. FloEd

FloEd Standard User

Thanks for your help, but I tried to change USB port to check the correct Com port and I changed COM Port to COM 1 or COM 2, without effect...
    I tried another converter, same thing...

Maybe software interface issue ?

Do you use an CFW10 serial in USB ?

Thanks

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Very unlikely to be a software issue since this is an old product. It's not under active maintenance.

Carefully inspect the cables; make sure they're not damaged - bent pin, broken wire, etc.

You may need to contact Bill @ Service.

5. FloEd

FloEd Standard User

Many thanks, but new serial cable : same thing.
    How I can contact Bill ?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

7. FloEd

FloEd Standard User

Thanks, I will try that.

8. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

The CFW-10 operates off of the I2C, I don't think it will work with a serial connection.

-Bill

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

10. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

My mistake. Sorry.