CFW 8 Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by GDB001, Feb 23, 2015.

1. GDB001

GDB001 Standard User

In 2002 I purchased an SBIG ST 7 camera with a CFW 8 color wheel. I recently purchased a new CCD (QHY 22) but want to know if there is any way to either adapt the DB9 connector on the filter wheel or put another connector that will allow me to use the color wheel with MaximDL and the new ccd. I hope Im explaining it in a way that makes sense. Thanks for your help in advance. Looking at the price of new color wheels, I hate to have this one sitting unused, if some minor wiring adjustments will bring it back to the 21 century. If anyone has a need for the camera, It has never been used, I will be happy to send it to them free of charge, for their help.

Gene

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Gene,

The SBIG wheels are designed to be used only with SBIG controllers. It won't work over a standard serial or USB port.

3. GDB001

GDB001 Standard User

Thanks Tim. That really wasnt what I wanted to hear. Will it work with the newer SBIG cameras

4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Gene,

You can plug them into any of the SBIG cameras, just not a non SBIG cam.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

6. GDB001

GDB001 Standard User

Doug

I see the diagram, and consider myself pretty knowledgable in wiring, but I just dont see what exactly the diagram is saying to do. If you don't mind translating what they are doing I would appreciate it.

Thanks

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

One diode prevents the signal from going negative, the other is a zener diode that keeps it from going too high. That converts the +/- RS-232 signal output into a 0-5V maximum TTL-level signal.