CFW-8A not selecting filters

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Roger Groom, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Roger Groom

Roger Groom Standard User

Hi all,

My CFW-8A has stopped allowing selection of filters. When I attempt to move to a new filter TheSkyX reports an error, "31001 (7919). No additional information is available". I have tested the camera/filter wheel connected to a different PC using a different USB cable. The camera (ST8) functions fine otherwise.

When the camera powers up the filter wheel does it's usual spin and correctly lands at a filter indicating the motor and sensor are functional.

When TheSkyX connects to the filter wheel it connects OK showing normal status.

Any tips to troubleshoot further?

Regards,
    Roger.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The CFW8-A was discontinued in 2006, so it's difficult to provide technical support now.

TheSky does some weird things to our error codes. Can you use CCDOPS or MaxIm DL software to reproduce the error?

3. Roger Groom

Thanks Doug, I appreciate it's very old and appreciate any support that can be provided.

CCDOps seems to need the selection of a COM port for the filter wheel, however the filter wheel is connected directly to the ST8. I see the help for CCDOPS says "If you have an RS-232 based CFW like the Stand Alone CFW-10 then select the COM port you are using to control the CFW" suggesting it can be not selected but I'm not able to select CFW-8 yet have a blank COM port as selecting CFW-8 sets COM 1.

I have chosen to leave it on default COM 1 and the error reported is "The CFW reported that it was busy". However it's hard to know if CCDOps is connecting correctly given the COM port selection.

See screenshot below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v45q...heel.jpg?rlkey=lsh27z6l8fhd3badfx0xe5w70&dl=0
    [​IMG]

Initially exiting the Filter Wheel setup screen there is no error message.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Looks like the wheel is staying busy. That might mean that it never finds the end position, which suggests a problem with the carousel sensor (misaligned or dirty or such).

It might possibly be due to a bent pin or broken wire on the connector.

Or possibly it was hot-plugged and damaged.

Maybe @Bill has a suggestion - has has a lot more experience than I do with the old hardware.

5. Roger Groom

Thanks.

There's been no unplugging/;lugging of it between functional and non-functional, but who knows about some other short or such.
    I did some testing with the cover off and on yesterday and noted that when it boots up, it spins and stops promptly at a filter, but then when I tell it to move to a filter, there seems to be no movement at all, no indication of hunting for (and missing) a filter. I just thought I'd mention that as I don't think that was clear originally.

Regards,
    Roger.

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

The CFW-8 connects to the AO/CFW/SCOPE port on the camera and a Com port should not have to be selected in order for it to operate. Simply select CFW-8 in the Filter Setup menu and it should be good to go. Otherwise, I would suspect the cable perhaps.

7. Roger Groom

Thanks Bill. For whatever reason as soon as I select "CFW-8" in the Filter Setup menu the COM field changes from empty to COM1 and I can't select empty again. There seems no way to choose "CFW-8" without having a COM port specified.

I'll do some more detailed checking of the cable connections.

Regards,
    Roger.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That might just be a software thing. On the API side (that's the driver interface), the COM port is ignored if you select a model that doesn't use it.

9. Roger Groom

It turns out that after receiving a replacement CFW-8 from someone, that the problem I have with the filter wheel not working, is seemingly not the filterwheel but the camera. I come to this conclusion because the same problem exists regardless of which CFW-8A I attach to the ST8. The ST8 appears otherwise functional, taking nice images and cooling appropriately.

Does this lead to any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Roger.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It may have been hot plugged. There are fuses in the camera that can be blown if you do that. @Bill can probably fix that.

11. Roger Groom

Interesting, I'll see what I can find of these fuses. I doubt hot plugging the cause due to the permanent set up nature of the configuration but maybe some other short or external influence like lightning, entirely possible. I don't have a spare SBIG power supply to try, that would have been another option.

Thanks,
    Roger.

12. Bill

Does it guide?

-Bill

13. Roger Groom

Hi Bill. Yes autoguiding appears to work fine.
    Thanks,
    Roger.

14. Bill

That would rule out the chip on the digital board that affects the relays and the port that the CFW-8 connects to.