Cleaning the Cooling Fan and Heat Sink Rods

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mike Hambrick, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I happened to notice what appeared to be a lot of trash in the cooling fan enclosure of my STXL16200 Camera. It turned out to be an accumulation of bugs on the fan and among the heat sink rods under the fan.

What you see in the photo is what I was able to brush off of the fan blades, but there are more of them wedged in amongst the heat sink rods under the cooling fan. Is there a recommended procedure for cleaning these bugs out from the heat sink rods ? I was thinking about compressed air, but from what I can tell, this will risk spreading the bugs out onto the circuitry.

Mike

upload_2024-2-24_18-26-46.png

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You should be able to use compressed air.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

..and a small vacuum... maybe some cotton swabs... toothbrush... good luck!

4. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Colin & Doug

So, based on your comments, I don't have to worry about these bugs getting into the circuitry. I will try a little of all three (compressed air, vacuum, and cotton swabs) to get this cleaned out.

Mike

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Mike, there's no way to know.
    If you wanted us to service the camera, let me know, and I can send you an RMA link.
    I recommend that you ground yourself and the camera when cleaning it, using proper procedures, such as an ESD safe anti-static mat and wrist strap.
    If the bugs have worked into the body or filter wheel, then it becomes a bigger job.
    If they are just around the heatsink and fan, then it is probably less of an issue.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Also bugs are generally nonconductive, so they're not going to short out the circuit board. If there's bug gunk in there you might want to blow it out, just to make sure you get good air circulation.