Communication error

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Ron Frisk, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Ron Frisk

Ron Frisk Cyanogen Customer

Adam R. asked me to post this issue here for consideration.

For months I have been having lost connection issues with my STXL-11002 camera using TSX Pro, MaxImDL V6, CCDSoft V5 and CCDOps. I have been working closely with Adam and Jan. I have done weeks of exhaustive testing under all hardware scenarios including but not limited to using different computers, USB and HDMI cables and have documented my results. I have updated firmware and drivers per Adam's instruction. I have literally run out of things to test. My last resort is to establish that the connection interruptions are only related to a USB issue by using an Ethernet connection instead. If the camera fails using Ethernet, does that indicate that I have a camera hardware problem? I have sent my camera back for repair/adjustments in the past (can provide details) and I am willing to do so again if necessary but hate to have to tear down my permanent setup if it's not necessary.

So here's the question I have (excerpted from my email to Adam):

I've been trying to test my camera with Ethernet in the hopes of determining if the problems I am experiencing are USB only, or a global connectivity issue. But following the instructions in the SBIG manual, we were unable to get the camera to connect via Ethernet. These instructions specifically:

"Connect CAT5 Ethernet cable between this port and your computer's Ethernet port. See the Software Section 2.3 for instructions of using an Ethernet interface.

2.3 - The STXL comes configured by the factory to have a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.100 but can be configured by CCDOps for other addresses or to use DHCP. Use the commands in the STXL sub - menu of the Misc Menu to configure the STXL. To Establish a link over Ethernet with CCDOps use the Graphics/Comm Setup command in the Misc menu and set the Interface to Ethernet and either fill in the Camera’s IP address or click the Detect button to search for it."

We tried directly connecting the camera and a laptop with a CAT5 cable as the instructions required with no success. I've tried a patch cable, as well as a CAT5 cable connected to a router on a network with the CCDOPs on it with no luck either. All I get is the "No Ethernet based cameras were found." error. Is there anything I am missing here? Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

2. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

3. Ron Frisk

Sent you PM

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Ron,

Have you sent it in for this reason? It's possible that the Ethernet connection simply doesn't work. I'll have to verify but there might be a fuse behind there, I could be mistaking it for the fuses behind the I2C though. I can only recall troubleshooting that circuit once before.

-Bill

5. Ron Frisk

Hey Bill - how you doing? Thanks for following up - no I have not sent in the camera for this issue. After receiving it back from SBIG it has performed perfectly with the exception of the software challenges I have been working through. The Ethernet connection is working fine and I just received a new cable which I am using now. These time out/connection issues happen with either USB or Ethernet - I suspect no hardware issue is involved since I have heard of others having the same problem with different camera models. And when the software stays connected, the resulting images are excellent. Hopefully Adam/Jan and the team can isolate some timing (mal)function in the driver or firmware. They are working diligently on this and are very accommodating and supportive.

Thanks again for taking the time to touch base. Have a great weekend.

Ron

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Hiya Ron, I'm doing fine thanks. I'm glad the camera is behaving. It sounds like things are in good hands and under control. Have a good one yourself.

-Bill