Resolved Connection Error ST-i color

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by John Cangelosi, Mar 17, 2022.

1. John Cangelosi

John Cangelosi Standard User

Hello,
    I'm getting a connect error on my observatory computer.

I have run the Driver Checker 64 (4.03 Build 4) and updated the drivers. This did take a bit of work because the security of the driver could not be verified but I selected 'install anyway'. I can see the camera in the device manager and have tried other ports.
    When testing the camera on another computer it connects no problem.

I would appreciate any guidance, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

That is an unusual message, and you've installed old stuff.
    I suggest you disconnect the camera, remove the drivers, and uninstall the SBIG Driver Checker.
    Then get the current version of the SBIG Driver Checker is 4.05:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/downloads/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

Current driver versions:
    sbig_driver_checker_405_5110.png
    Check the firmware in the camera as well.

All the downloads and documentation for the ST-I are in the + DOWNLOADS part of this web page:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/product/st-i/
    There is a link to CCDOps there as well.

3. John Cangelosi

Great, I'll give that a try. Is it possible to keep the drivers for my STI - 8300 and still try this method?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

All the ST/STL/ST-i/STT/STF/STXL/STXc ameras share the same sbigudrv.dll software driver, but they have other files such as sbigXcam.hex and sbigfga.bin, and their firmware is unique to the camera model(s).

When setting up a camera for the first time, (or re-installing) I recommend disconnecting any other SBIG CCD cameras, and just work on getting the one going.

5. John Cangelosi

OK- giving that a go. Where do I find all the drivers for the ST-i, are they in a separate folder or should I just search for those listed above? I've seen them listed in Program Files (x86).

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The SBIG Driver Checker automatically installs the drivers when you hit [Update].
    If you want to find the driver files and the firmware, the source for them is in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG\Driver Checker 64\SBIG Drivers 3r2
    This folder gets updated when you do a Check for Updates in the SBIG Driver Checker, IF you allow it to go get the files from the internet.

When you get Driver Checker to install the update, it copies the appropriate files from the SBIG Drivers 3r2 subfolders into the appropriate C:\Windows folders.
    The destination varies depending if you have a x86 or x64 processor and windows OS version.

There should never be any reason to manually install drivers - that is what the SBIG Driver Checker does on your behalf.
    Drivers cannot be updated if the camera is attached and powered on and enabled - some of the drivers will be in use.
    You CAN disable the device in the Device Manager, update the drivers, and Re-enable the device. Then it will find it again.

7. John Cangelosi

Ah- I see the option to remove the drivers from the Checker now, doing that, then reinstalling Driver Checker, I got a successful link. Thank you!

8. John Cangelosi

My only issue now is that I can connect the ST-i to my observatory computer with a short USB but once I try to use a longer length (like the one that came with the camera, came with my SC-2, or using just a 6' extension) I can't connect. With my laptop (same new Driver Checker, new CCD Opps, same OS and version), with the same long cables, I can connect no problem.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The ST-I consumes close to the maximum permitted power on USB 2.0. This means:
    1. When using a long cable, you must use a cable with large gauge power wires. Most don't have this - we supplied the camera with cables specifically chosen for wire gauge. So make sure you use the cable that came with the camera.
    2. The computer's USB port must be capable of delivering the full 500 mA power. Some ports for whatever reason don't meet the specified current levels.
    3. Aside from power issues, some ports have lousy signal integrity - see below:
    If your observatory computer's USB port doesn't work properly, then I have a few suggestions:
    • If you are using a front-panel USB port... don't. Use one on the back. The front ports are always compromised by really cheap internal wiring inside the box. It's perfectly fine for a USB stick but a major problem for signal integrity when using long cables.
    • If your computer has an available PCI slot, then you should be able to purchase an inexpensive USB plug-in card and use that instead. In my experience they always work well.
    • Failing that, try using a powered USB hub between the computer and the camera. Note: don't connect a main camera and guider to the same hub; a lot of them can't handle the traffic volumes. Try to avoid putting other devices on the hub that require high data throughput.

10. John Cangelosi

I had an opportunity to upgrade my observatory computer with a better PC, and one with many high speed USB ports. That seemed to do the trick- now connecting the ST-i through CCD Ops and TSX no problem. Thank you!

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, that's good to hear.