Cooler Stops Running

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark de Regt, May 28, 2024.

1. Mark de Regt

Mark de Regt Cyanogen Customer

Irregularly, but not infrequently (perhaps every three or four nights), I find that the cooler has turned off, and Maxim won't take images; this causes ACP to crash (just as well, since images without the cooler would be useless).

It can happen very early in the evening, or late at night; no pattern that I can discern.

It may or may not be related to the memory leak.

I have to close Maxim, power-cycle the camera, and restart Maxim to get it to work again.

I have no idea why it happens, but it has been happening for a while.

Mark

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I doubt this is a software issue per se.

You didn't say what camera model you are using.

If it is an SBIG model, the camera will shut off the cooler if it needs to protect itself from damage. That will happen if the power input voltage gets too low, causing the cooler system to try and draw too much current. It will also happen if the camera overheats, which could happen if the cooler fan fails.

MaxIm DL not being able to take images is a bit odd, though it could possibly happen if the power dropped out on the camera.

I'd start out by checking the power cabling. If you are using through-the-mount cabling provided by a mount vendor, don't do that. A lot of those have cables that aren't large enough gauge for the current.

Also do the usual check for USB Selective Suspend, that sort of thing.

3. Mark de Regt

The camera is an SBIG STX-16803, with STX guider and AO-X.

Please advise what "checking the power cabling" means. The camera has the pricey wire I bought from you guys a couple of years ago. The scope is at SRO; I know the camera power is not through the mount.

I don't know what "the usual check for USB Selective Suspend, that sort of thing" means.

Mark

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

5. Mark de Regt

Ok, thanks.

Selective suspend was already disabled.

I'll talk to the folks at SRO.