Damaged ST2000 Power Cord Repair

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mike Hambrick, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

The power cord for my ST2000-XM got severely pinched the other day when I was slewing my mount. I can see bare metal on at least one of the individual conductors.

Since I am going to have to strip back the insulation to make the repair I was wondering if there any concerns if I splice in an extra section of cord to increase the overall length of the power cord. The existing power cord is 6 ft. long. The cord is 5-conductor cable.

Mike

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that.
    DIY repair should be fine. You may wish to use a heavier wire gauge (lower AWG number) for your new cable, for lower losses, as every foot results in a voltage drop and less power to the camera.
    Check your work when done with an ohm-meter for shorts and continuity. Use heatshrink instead of electrical tape for a professional grade finish.

3. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

The sad part is that this happened indoors during the daytime while I was trying to improve my cable routing arrangement to avoid such occurrences.

Can you confirm that the individual conductor wires in the ST2000 cable are 20-gauge ? What gauge do you think would be good to use if I were to double the length from 6 ft to 12 ft ? I was thinking 18 gauge might be good.

Mike

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

18AWG is ok. Thicker is always better.