Resolved Desiccant plug.

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Galaxyhunter, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter Cyanogen Customer

I do believe that this is the Desiccant plug (see pic below). This thing is really tight to the point that I feel that I might brake it trying to unthread it.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

That's pretty unlikely - it's metal. You should be able to use fingers; if you can't get a good grip, a silicone jar opener or rubber band might help.
    Avoid vice-grips etc.
    It is threaded, and there is a neoprene-like o-ring to seal it, so it can be stiff.
    Are you having a problem with frost?

3. Galaxyhunter

No problems with frost, But I haven't used the camera (other then bench testing) since last March. I thought that I would recharge it before I took it out to the Observatory.
    Is there a dummy plug to install while recharging? If so, I didn't ever see one in the camera case.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

No, sorry, no dummy plug. A lot of folks buy a spare desiccant plug, dry it out, then swap it in.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

BTW if you haven't had any evidence of frost, you probably don't need to bother with it at this time.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I do recommend refreshing the plug once every two years in dry locations, and once every year in a high humidity location. You don't really want to see frost on the sensor.

There is normally no need for a dummy plug. Just make sure you're in a reasonably clean and dry environment. Place the camera on a desk with the desiccant port facing downwards, just to protect it from any dust floating about.

7. Galaxyhunter

Thanks Doug. :)