DL Maxlm not working on full size image

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by niccolo baldassini, Apr 15, 2020.

1. niccolo baldassini

niccolo baldassini Standard User

Dear Sir,

I just dowloaded the demo of DL Maxlm. Unfortunately when I try to deconvolve the full image (42 Mega, Sony 7R III) the software crashes or I got a message type memory full or similar. Could you please tell me if the impossibility of dealing with full size image came from the software, the restriction of the demo version or is due to the memory of my computer.

Best regards
    Niccolo Baldassini

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Dear Niccolo,
    Thank you for contacting us.
    Sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Can you tell us the following information:
    Are you working with a Sony A7RII Raw Image in .AWR format?
    What size is the image?

MaxIm DL Pro has a log of errors and activities.
    View... Log Window.
    Can you give us the exact message, or copy/paste a bit of the log, and save in notepad, then use Upload a File at the lower right to attach it?
    MaxIm should not be crashing. I may ask for additional information to help track that problem down.

What happens if you start MaxIm DL fresh, and immediately try doing the deconvolution?

It is not a restriction of the demo version.
    Do you have less than 4GB of RAM? e.g. 2GB? We recommend having at least 4GB available.

MaxIm converts imported images to a 32-bit floating point format; this means a 42 Megapixel camera image can easily become 168MB of RAM in size.
    There is an Undo function; this keeps a copy of the pre-processed version of the image.
    MaxIm keeps many memory buffers while processing the image.

You could try changing the Memory Control settings. Disable Undo, and Uncheck the Limit, as shown below:
    memory.png

If your computer has >4GB of free RAM, then MaxIm will use up to 4GB of it.

Please let us know what you learn.

3. niccolo baldassini

Dear Sir,

Thanks for you fast replay.

Here my answer to your question:

Computer configuration

• ThinkPad L590
    • Processeur Intel Core i7-8565U (1,80 GHz, jusqu'à 4,60 GHz avec Turbo Boost, 4 cœurs, cache 8 Mo)
    • 16 Go de mémoire SoDIMM DDR4 2 666 MHz
    • Disque SSD 512 Go, M.2 2280, NVMe, opal
    The message I got

[​IMG] upload_2020-4-15_22-22-13.png

But I was not able to find the log

I relaunched the software and then I ran only the deconvolution proces
    I doesn't work even disabling undo

Type of file

Tiff.

I hope that this could help you in detecting problem or advising me on how use the software correctly

Best Regards

Niccolo Baldasssini

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Nice machine - that should have enough memory.

Please send us the TIFF file. That way we can try it.
    Since the file is very large, please use WeTransfer/Dropbox/Google Drive.

To find the log, View... Log Window:
    view_log.png
    You can Right-Click in the Log window for options including Time Stamps and Debug Messages.

The logs are usually stored somewhere like this:
    C:\Users\Niccolo\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Log
    and have a name like:
    20200416.log

Merci,
    Colin

5. niccolo baldassini

Dear Colin,

Here the link with for downloading the image.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4e780e945853bbc33df9da021ba1b5aa20200416171805/60da42e04b1fa0d45c6265b0786d034e20200416171856/424b6f

You will find the following:

- The complete image which do not goes through the processing

- The cropped image

- The deconvolution of the cropped image

- The psf I used for the deconvolution

Finally I was able to retrieve the log, her the screen shot.
    upload_2020-4-16_19-28-1.png

I have the impression that the line "Deconvolve Cancelled" correspond to the moment I close the deconvolution in order to access to the main menu to retrieve the log.

I thank you for you assistance and I look forward to hear from you

Bets regards

Niccolo

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Niccolo,
    You sent me 3 pictures of a building and a tiny block png.
    I was expecting an image of stars / galaxies / nebula / planets.
    Do you want to send me the correct file(s) ?

7. niccolo baldassini

Hi ,
    yes I am one of the people that after having gone thought the work Roger Clark (you probably know him, https://clarkvision.com)is convinced that deconvolution is the way to go for sharpening photos, and that astrophoto is much advanced with respect to standard technique. More I deep more I am impressed. From the small of bit of image that I was able to process I have the impression that Maxlm does a very good job.
    Best
    Niccolo'

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Oh, I wasn't expecting an outdoor daylight scene.
    I just tested it and was able to do a Maximum Entropy deconvolution - definitely sharper! It peaked at over 2.4GB of RAM for that one image.
    The cancelled message happens when you hit Ok at the end of the deconvolution process.
    Can you tell me exactly what steps you took - because I can't make it report a problem.

9. niccolo baldassini

Hi,
    Thanks for your research. I apologise that in the previous emails i didn't mention that I was processing deconvolution with the Lucy-Richardson algorithm.
    In paralle I had a go with Maximum Entropy and it works, by the way I have the impression that it gives less sharp results cheking with the cropped image usingL-R, but I dint play with settings or PFS.
    Best Niccolo'

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, I get the Out of Memory error with L-R, but no crash. We'll look into this further.

When you say MaxIm crashed - did it give you any error message? Or a windows error message?

Anything in the Windows Event Viewer Application Log ?
    eventviewer.png
    In this example screen shot, you'll see
    Faulting Application Name: MaxIm_DL.exe
    Faulting Module Name: MaxIm_DL.exe
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Can you let me know if you see this in your Windows Event Viewer ?

11. niccolo baldassini

Bonjour,
    Well I think that I used an improper language, usally when it fal to deconvolute I got this message:
    upload_2020-4-18_15-47-41.png
    But I have th feeling that a couple of time it really crashed

I am not good in computers and finally I arrived to go into the log (french version, here the results:
    upload_2020-4-18_15-50-14.png

I went back and I found a couple of error messages... may be associates to a crash...
    upload_2020-4-18_15-54-26.png

upload_2020-4-18_15-55-25.png

upload_2020-4-18_15-56-7.png

Then I have a "stupid" question: as in the case of the images I sent you, the tiff file opens nicely, but in other case the openes with compressed colors, I used the strech dialogue box, then they were mostly ok (but not the exact color), but finally when saved they got the wrong colors nearly eveeithing black. What i did wrong?
    Best Regards Niccolo'

Attached Files:

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Those Windows Event Viewer errors are not MaxIm errors.
    In the column "Source" look for Application Error.

Lucy-Richardson uses a lot of memory. (beaucoup trop).
    Use Maximum Entropy instead; or use a smaller image.

The error is expected - MaxIm is trying to get enough memory buffers to process the image, but it can't. This is a limitation of MaxIm, a 32-bit program.
    Perhaps in the future we will release a new version, but this is not going to happen quickly.

13. niccolo baldassini

Hi,
    Thanks for the replay . So I understand that the softare is deveolped for usual astrophoto and to the mostly used sensor of around 20 megapixe,l probaply of Canon, wich is, as far as undestand, one of the most used camera. Suae nobody use the sony7R since its bad reputation for star eating. Whend do you expect to cach up for the new generation of 50 megapixel camera like Nikon,? 6 month, 1 year?
    If I put 16 etra Go of Ram do you think that Maxlm will work. If the case I don not known when I will do it, in this eventuality would I be able to have an etra trial period to chek if it will be working with the 32 Go configuration....
    Best regard

PS yesterday it rally crashed without the mesage memory full and the log now indcate the error you mentioned
    upload_2020-4-21_19-53-46.png

14. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

MaxIm DL Pro is a 32-bit program. That means it can address a total of 4GB of RAM.
    My work PC has 32GB; Maxim will only use up to 4GB.
    A lot of the astronomy equipment that MaxIm controls is 32-bit only; so we have to plan on a future version that will both handle more memory and support the hardware.
    We have to review our priorities after we release version 6.22 to determine what we will do next.
    This issue will not be solved in the next couple of weeks - it will take more effort.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The error you posted looks like something in the underlying operating system happened when MaxIm was running.
    I suggest you run Windows Update a few times to get your machine to the current Windows version.
    There may still be a MaxIm issue, but we need to eliminate Windows first.