DLImaging ASCOM Driver / TheSkyX64

Discussion in 'DL Imaging Drivers - Aluma, STC, StarChaser' started by Frank R. Santore, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

I am using the current ASCOM driver per the subject and note from the release:

"Version : 6.4.22.0
    Description :
    - Added support for a default readout mode selection on camera connect. Allows ASCOM-based programs that do not support readout modes to default to a mode such as High Gain."

TheSkyX64 current daily build takes advantage of the added default readout mode in the Camera Chooser setup, but this is a bit clunky and limiting if changing the readout mode within TSX camera user interface 'on the fly' is desired but not presented.

I'll obviously pursue this next on their forum, but thought I would start here to assure myself of the fact that the DLImaging ASCOM driver provides the ability to select readout modes on a per shot basis.

I'll note that I have tried an available Diffraction Limited/Maxim's Camera setup choice, that without going through ASCOM does provide readout selections correctly for my Aluma AC4040. While working fine, it does have numerous other associated problems, including no connection to a filter wheel.

I'm also a bit confused with Software Bisques 'Camera+' add-on new nomenclature. I'm assuming I am unlocking all the same driver capability provided by my prior 'Camera Add-On' license, but inquiring minds wonder.

Thanks for considering.

-Frank

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Frank - you'll need to ask the fine folks at Software Bisque. The readout mode is an adjustable parameter; however I don't know what Bisque's plans are for their camera add on.

3. Frank R. Santore

Thanks, Colin. In my further research to the desired use case, is this as simple as setting the TSXPro driver Camera Setup to High Gain Stacked Pro, and then Lights, Darks, Flats, and focusing will then be handled by DLImaging in that manner? Since my StackPro sub exposure will be set to 60 secs (or more), then Flats and Focusing will essentially be short High Gain equivalent (ie, a single sub). I'm thinking of using a gain of 800 per the other related threads.

My asteroid exposures need to be in the 3 to 6 minute range to minimize streaking. A 6 minute exposure then is only 6 stacks at 60 secs each, which minimizes the dynamic range growth relative to a 16 bit CCD, correct? If I understand the prior related posts, HGSPro doesn't achieve this objective unless the full 16 subs are exposed inside the AC4040.

I've digested all the comments on HDR readout as 'this mode to be ignore by the astro community', unless tinkering with this GSENSE sensor provided capability sounds like fun. But if a 6 sub HGSPro doesn't provide that much more dynamic range, what are your thoughts on pursuing the post-processing necessary for HDR readouts? No matter what, it looks like I need to start some rigorous tests anyway.

Hope the holiday preparations are going well at Diffraction Limited. On another subject, since I haven't touched the desiccant in the AC4040 since delivery, I ordered a replacement plug from Adorama (sorry, DL's shipping was too steep for my psychological budget, Adorama was free). Will the backorder be filled anytime soon :)?

Take care,

-Frank

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Frank, If you have picked High Gain StackPro, all images will use that method, and if they are shorter than the subexposure time, it will be equivalent to the subexposure; if more then it will use in-camera stacking.

I can't comment on dealer orders as I don't know what they have in stock and what they have back ordered. They continue to order products from us on a frequent basis, and we have more going out to them this week.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Re StackPro calibration, in addition to Light, Dark, and Flat you will need matching Flat-Darks. Calibration will work normally despite the different number of subexposures.

StackPro trades off read noise versus dynamic range. If you stack N times, then full well effectively increases by N, and the read noise by square root (N). So stacking 6x will give you 6x full well and 2.45x more read noise. If you actually need more dynamic range, then reducing the subexposure duration will increase that at the expense of more read noise. You have to evaluate your imaging conditions to decide what is best.

If you want to use HDR, there is a plug-in available for MaxIm DL Pro (it does require the Pro version to use a plug-in).

https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/downloads/HDRMergePlugIn.zip - install procedure for plug-ins is included in the MaxIm DL user manual.

You need to open an HDR image taken with the 4040. Then use Plug-In / HDR Merge. The following dialog box appears:

upload_2023-12-11_16-46-25.png

First step is to calibrate the HDR merge function. To do this, before you launch the command load an HDR image that has a range of intensities, with the high gain channel having lots of pixels between 300 and 2400 ADU. HDR images taken with the 4040 always have overscan turned on, so the dark pixels will be available on the right-hand side.

upload_2023-12-11_16-38-4.png

Once you do the calibration, close the command and load up an image you want to process. Click Process.

Calibration is a bit of a pain, because it really needs to be done in two steps:
    • First generate a HG flat-field image:
      • Take HG flats and flat-darks
      • Load them into Set Calibration and Create Masters
      • Note: You can use HDR for this, but that is unnecessary and just adds the step of HDR Merge.
    • Dark subtract your HDR image
    • HDR Merge it
    • Now flat-field the image.
    Set Calibration can be loaded with the HDR Dark master frame and the HG Flat frames at the same time. So you'd do Calibrate, HDR Merge, and Calibrate again. You'll probably want to use Batch Process for this.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

None of our dealers stock desiccant plugs, so they have to order from us, receive it, and then send it along to you.

We do have an order from Adorama for a desiccant plug. Assuming that is your plug, then it is scheduled to be shipped to them this week.

7. Frank R. Santore