Does my STF-8300 need servicing?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by ngcjim, Jan 8, 2022.

1. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

Over the last several months I've been getting a blown out image. It doesn't matter if I'm taking flats, darks or lights. Its occurs now and then, and I'm approximating maybe 1 in 50 frames. Is this a shutter issue and it needs servicing? If so, Is this camera a good candidate for the transplant upgrade service?

Here's an example of a blown out image. (I shared this link through my dropbox and pasted the URL into the image link but, but I don't see the image, so I tried uploading the image.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5it4cg2z5pknwb5/IC 434 blowout.PNG?dl=0

[​IMG]

thanks
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jim, we can't tell much from a PNG.
    Use [Upload a File] to attach a file or image. That works better than the image button on the toolbar.

Can you send us a set of uncalibrated FITS images, binning 1x1?
    Dark, Bias, light, and flat if possible.

What's your optical train setup? e.g. scope (4000mm f6.5), any focal reducers/barlows, extension tubes, AO, off axis guider, filter wheel, filter, etc.
    Without the FITS, am curious - do you have a nearby light source / light leak - it could be an internal reflection off something in the optical path.

Other test you can do is put the camera on the workbench (kitchen table) and shoot a series of second exposures, eg like 10 secs to see if the shutter operates correctly.

If it needs servicing, it's usually more economical to send it for a quick trip to @Bill for a little TLC. Sometimes the shutter motors get a bit gummed up over time.
    Let us know the camera serial number. A tranplant to an Aluma 8300 might make sense, but I think it's something simpler.

3. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

I use a 14" Planewave Corrected Dall Kirkham f7.2. The light goes straight through to the focus wheel (FW-8) and into the STF-8300, so FL=2563mm

I only shoot using 2x2 binning. I uploaded two 180 sec Red images. One with the blowout and one without. Also a single dark. I didn't finish taking flats for this image so now it may be too late.

Typically I just delete these blown out images. For my Jan 6 session I too over 50 images and just two were blown out.

Model: STF 8300M
    Serial: 83F010733

Thanks Colin.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jim, I think it should go in to @Bill for service. I think the shutter *is* acting up a bit - may need a new motor - I shouldnt speculate. I'll suggest he reach out to you.
    Also your darks are just a touch warm, but then again, I see the CCD was cooled just to -10, and if it's around 10C at night, you should be able to get that down further (maybe -20C or so?).

Pro Tip: Your SITELONG has the wrong sign if you are in California. West of Greenwich is negative. Check MaxIm... File... Settings... Site and Optics.

5. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

I use The Sky X and checked my longitude and it shows 117° 09' 39.00" W. I will ask about this in TSX forum.

I left the Temperature at what was recommended in the TSX camera addon and the outside temp was around 65F ~ 18C. Its been a few years since I dried out the desiccant

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hmmmm.... I don't use TSX for imaging, ask over on the Bisque forum. Because OBSGEO-L is correct.
    OBSGEO-L = -117.160833333333 / Longitude of the observation in degrees.

Depending on the vintage and model of STF can achieve -30 delta T pretty easily. The STF-8300EN could hit about -40 delta T. You might want to try for colder.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Meant to say it's also worth redoing the desiccant. If you send it in to @Bill I expect he may do that for you as well.

8. ngcjim

ngcjim Cyanogen Customer

Thanks. I definitely will push the temp down some more. As soon as I hear from Bill, I will get my STF in for servicing.

I posted the longitude question to the Bisque forum and so far I got one response acknowledging that it is an "issue"