Resolved Downloading Drivers via FTP.SBIG.COM failing

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Jason Couchman, May 12, 2020.

1. Jason Couchman

Jason Couchman Standard User

Hi there -

This is my first post but I'm a longtime user that is setting up legacy SBIG products on a new computer. When I tried to download the legacy SBIG driver checker and CCDOPS 5 off the Diffraction Limited site (example: https://diffractionlimited.com/product/st-i/) it tries to point to the FTP site above but the connection keeps timing out. As it happens, I still had the driver checker on another machine, so I copied it, but when I ran the software and tried downloading the actual drivers, it again failed. Is that server coming back online anytime soon?

TIA!

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It's working fine for me - the server is up and running.
    Try putting the URL into your web browser - eg. Firefox.

3. Jason Couchman

Hi there, and thank you for the prompt reply.
    I've tried ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe in IE and Chrome with all security settings completely disabled and the connection repeatedly times out. I did already happen to have the EXE on another computer and have installed it, and then clicked the update button inside the application. Same result - it gives me the following message: "Error on connecting to SBIG servers: 0 If you have a firewall enabled try disabling it and Download again"

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Not an issue on our end as far as we can tell - could be a problem with your internet service provider.
    From a command prompt, can you:
    ping ftp.sbig.com

I tried it with IE just now, works fine from my home.

5. Jason Couchman

Ping worked fine from command prompt but when I try to FTP from command prompt, I get the same problem - connection timeout. Turns out you were probably right - CenturyLink does appear to block FTP traffic. When I VPN into my observatory machine which is on a different carrier, everything works. Thanks again!