Driver for Canon EOS R Mirrorless

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Mike McDowell, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Mike McDowell

Mike McDowell Standard User

I was hoping to do image capture with my new Canon EOS R mirrorless camera. The Canon EOS II driver in MaxIm doesn't recognize the camera. Any plans for an undated driver that would work with this camera?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mike,
    That camera was very recently released (as well as the even more recent EOS RP); it usually takes some months for Canon to release the SDK for it.
    So, checking up on this, Canon has revised their software development kits as of July 18, 2019, last Friday, and the last couple patches do appear to support your camera in addition to the cheap EOS RP.

There is no mention of whether they have published the RAW formats, which are needed by the third party camera image format library we use.

When Canon releases a new camera, sometimes they completely change the way it gets controlled it and the format of the download files etc.
    Canon usually sells the cameras months before their Software Development Kit is updated, so we have to wait on that.
    Next, if the file format of the RAW .CR2 files has changed again, then we have to work on the image file formats.

So, it can be a while before we can support a camera. Every developer is in the same boat - not just us.
    We would have to add this to the development schedule for a future release, and so assuming everything is good, the new version of the SDK works, and the file formats are there, it might be added to the plans for a release in a few months.
    I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted, but Canon and Nikon both behave this way, and it's beyond our control.