Drivers

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Jim Buzonik, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Jim Buzonik

Jim Buzonik Standard User

How do I get a copy of sbigudrv.dll ? I also need several others to get get my old ST-7 working.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Jim Buzonik

I have couple of them. Neither seems to be able to come up with the correct set of drivers. And each one comes up with a different set! The one that came with the disk that was included with the original purchase wants (in addition to sbigudrv.dll) sbigu32.sys, sbigpcam, sbiglcam, sbigfcam, and swig.bin. Other requests are made by other driver checkers. I'm inclined to go with the one I know works. (Or at least worked on the old Toshiba Satellite Laptop that I was using before it quit (System 32 problem - Reinstall windows.) Coupled with the problem of a cracked screen, I decided it was time to go with a new computer. So I got a Dell Latitude D630 laptop, also running on Windows XP. CCDOPS seems to load okay, but it keeps telling me that the drivers are missing. I tried reinstalling CCDOPS from your website, and I had the same problem, but it was asking for a different set of drivers! (But, again, starting with sbigudrv.dll.) Where do I go from here? I really like the old ST-7, and I'm getting some great pictures from it (recently, the Heron galaxy). I'd like to keep using it because, by itself, it's working great. But I can't seem to be able to use it on the "new" laptop. Again, where do I go from here?

Jim

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Is this an old parallel port ST-7, or USB-based ST-7XME?

5. Jim Buzonik

On the attached label is says: ST-7XME-D, and I've always used it with a USB connection.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You should use the latest drivers.

7. Jim Buzonik

But when I download them it gives me a "Not found" message in the Driver Checker Utility screen.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Uninstall any old version of SBIG Driver Checker you may have. Download the very latest from our web site.

9. Jim Buzonik

Okay, I have downloaded both SBIG Driver Checker (Windows) and CCDOPS (Windows) from the USB Port Cameras site. I THINK I have everything else uninstalled correctly. By the way, I now have tow different computers accessing your site. I'm typing to you on the Mac and I'm downloading on the laptop. Will this cause a problem?

Next question. Which one do I run first, the Driver Checker or the CCDOPS installer?

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's not critical, but CCDOPS will not run unless Driver Checker is first used to install the drivers.

11. Jim Buzonik

Okay, here we go. I'll try it again. Get back to you soon.

12. Jim Buzonik

I reinstalled everything, and exactly the same thing happened. "Not Found" on all the files in the driver checker, and CCDOPS will not start because "The application has failed to start because SBIGUDrv.dll was not found". I'm at a loss about what do do next.

13. Jim Buzonik

I also tried "Update" on the driver checker, and it seems like the drivers are downloading. Then I get a message "Update skipped - Not approved by user". Where do I get a chance to approve the update?

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's just weird. Did you get a UAC prompt?

Try right-clicking on the SBIG Driver Checker icon and Run As Administrator.

15. Jim Buzonik

I tried that and I get an "Access Denied" message. Bt the way, what's a UAC Prompt?

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What version of Windows are you running?

You need to have an Administrator-level account to install drivers.

The UAC Prompt is when Windows asks for permission for Administrator-level access.

17. Jim Buzonik

I am running Windows XP. I don't know about this Administrator-Level access. I just got the computer from Amazon a couple of days ago. I seem to be able to set up an SBIG Driver file. Why can't I just put the drivers in that file?

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay, XP has limited security.

The drivers have to be installed properly. You can’t just stuff them in a folder and expect them to do anything.

XP computers are not being sold anymore, as Microsoft discontinued support for it years ago. Did you buy a used machine? If so you might want to reinstall Windows to get a fresh machine.

19. Jim Buzonik

Yes, I did buy a used machine. If I want to reinstall Windows I might as well use my old one. But I don't like that cracked screen. The one I got from Amazon was said to be "reconditioned". Doesn't that mean Windows would have to be reinstalled?

I get the part about not just stuffing drivers into a folder.

20. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You have no idea how the machine is configured. That may have something to so with being unable to install drivers.

A fresh install is highly recommended. It should be possible without having to get a new license.